OT: Static First

You had the case open, were probably manipulating the board and parts somehow; a bit of stress on a weak solder joint or a shifting of some bit of conductive debris so it touched something critical, are two other ways it could have 'picked that moment'.

In the late 1970s, the newfangled MOS was determined to have sensitivity to small charges that could kill it during handling or even storage. In the 80s, lots of redesigns happened, to add protection. In the 90s, unprotected designs became very rare. Fully-assembled circuits (all the potentially sensitive inputs connected to insensitive conductive output circuits) aren't likely to fail due to static, not today.

Reply to
whit3rd

There's no probably about it. Not even a maybe.

At least you didn't say something stupid like, "It couldn't happen."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

That was the GEOS that came with Desktop Publishing, Spreadsheet, and Database. That's the GEOS that the aol frontend was built on... and yes it did have a banner program.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

(...)

Sung to the tune of _Barber's Song_ from Cervantes' _Man of La Mancha_

Oh I am a little techy and I go my merry waaaay With my meter and my diags I can always earn my paaaay Though smoothness describes your process flow, you'll need me soon I knooow On a lark you'll shuffle and spark and cause your Pentium to blooow

GD&R --Winston

Reply to
Winston

If you want a FAST and easy dual boot windows/linux install...try Mint Linux.

Works great!

Its what Im using at the moment..with Agent under Wine

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What's windows?

I'm happy for you.

What's Wine?

;-)

Anyway, I've never owned windoze, and never will. If $IT requires Windows, I don't require $IT.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

An Apple fanatic is a terrible thing to watch, when he starts asking questions 95% of the rest of the people already know.

Rest easy old chap..keep on taking the bite out of the apple and no one will bother you.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What apple?

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Steve runs *nix.

Wes

Wes

Humm..so you dont use Microsoft, you dont use Linux and you dont use Apple. Sun? Smoke signals?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Evidently not...not if he can post the following....

Gunner "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Where on Usenet did you ever get the idea I don't use Linux? Certainly not in this thread. Certainly not from my headers (hint: headers would have been the easiest place to check).

My desktop machine is Debian w/XFCE. My wife's desktop runs Xubuntu (mentioned upthread I believe). The server has FreeBSD -- for sure mentioned upthread (w/blackbox wm). The laptop sports PCLinuxOS (w/KDE).

Reply to
Steve Ackman

This means: I do not have windows, never have, never will.

This means: If you are happy with windows polluting your Linux hard drive, I'm glad that rebooting all the time works for you.

This means: I have no windows applications, so have even less use for Wine than I would have for windows.

The winkie means: This is all in good fun. Obviously I know what Windows is. I know what Wine is. I

*thought* you would have picked up on that easily enough without the clarifications.

Evidently not. :-/

Reply to
Steve Ackman

-0800, Gunner Asch, snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net wrote:

From your obvious ignorance of Wine and what you posted.

Sorry if you didnt make yourself clear.

Shrug

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

AH! Sorry..I overlooked the Winkie. Mea Culpa!!!

As for needing Windows/Wine...there are still programs for Windows that one cannot find in Linux..though that list is growing shorter daily.

Im currently running Mint Linux but using Wine to run Forte Agent, which I far far far prefer to any other Usenet reader. And Ive tried them all.. Shrug..for 12 yrs in fact.

But good on you!!! And sorry about having missed the winkie!

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Pencil, paper and USPS stamp? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller