OT Supercaps

I was listening to a Security Now podcast today and mention of some serious super caps was made. Does anyone have an idea if this is technology that is likely to come to fruition soon?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Sounds a lot like "Pie in the sky", Wes. G> At first I thught it might be a variation on "switched" capacitors such as are used in filters.

Wes

Reply to
Robert Swinney

super caps was

Well, Super Capacitors exist and they have been proposed for a variety of uses. I don't know if the claims are "pie in the sky" or not.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

ious super caps was

to come to fruition

The AA NiMH batteries in my camera are equivalent to 2.5Amp-Hr * 1.2V

  • 3600 Sec/Hr =3D 10,800 Farads.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

super caps was

last year. They use them in hybrid city buses for energy recapture, very short storage time, lots of cycles/day.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

super caps was

I have been watching and waiting for EEStor to actually release some type, any type, of product for quite some time. Nothing yet. Last big news was a deal with a large military contractor (Boeing? IIRC...which I probably don't) to supply all power storage products for a whole slew of military gear. The deal was done behind closed doors. No details released.

If they actually have some form of ground breaking technology, they sure are doing a great job of hiding it. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

super caps was

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

tvillars had written this in response to

: EEStor or the TheEEStory as we call it on the blog
has been working since 2001 to develop an ultracapacitor with energy densities comparable to lead-acid batteries. But it wasn't until the VC firm Kleiner Perkins invested around $3 million in 2005 that real development could start and got EEStor some serious attention. As to when something public will be announced, that is anyone's guess but I'm hoping for something significant in March.

------------------------------------- Wes wrote:

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 143811 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
tvillars

us super caps was

come to fruition

Super caps have been around in one form or another for decades now, fractional farad caps have been used for years for retaining settings on electronic equipment during outages. You can get a 1F for fairly cheap change now. They're basically two aluminum plates with a paste of acid and carbon black between them, the internal resistance is fairly high and the working voltage is pretty low. The high capacitance is because of the extremely large surface area of the carbon black. So any practical traction use for them needs to have them in both series AND parallel and then you still have to overcome the exponential discharge curve inherent with capacitors. Would take some fancy electronics to do that, but it would be doable. The discharge curve is far inferior to just about any storage battery type, though. You'd probably end up cutting off discharge with about a third of the charge left just because the voltage would get too low to practically step up to working voltage.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

super caps was

to fruition

Dave

You don't remember correctly. My employer, Lockheed Martin bought into EEStor, when this first happened we got lots of stuff in email and company news. I haven't heard anything in a long time.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
CarlBoyd

That is interesting.... Hum - I have a data sheet somewhere that a like unit - a high tech version - was a timing circuit part and was used in covert operations for months in length during Viet Nam.

These and the others are second or third generation and likely lower cost.

Mart> >> I was listening to a Security Now podcast today and mention of some serious

super caps was

to fruition

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

ious super caps was

to come to fruition

Correntewire?

I assume you go there to monitor the far left wackos?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

variation on "switched"

super caps was

Here's a link to the latest information:

Steve.

Steve

super caps was

come to fruition

A Google on Shipstone found the link

I dont need to travel anywhere to monitor the far left wackos...they come here.

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

serious super caps was

ly to come to fruition