OT Surveillance Experts ? OT

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system . A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ... Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video . Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

-- Snag Wannabe Machinist

Reply to
Snag

Photo is cheap and possible with a motion-sensor camera from a hunting store. Usually available for around $20-50 too.

...Presuming he doesn't steal it.

Personally, I like the idea of semi-harmful boobytraps.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I'm leaning more towards a system that will record the images on a comp HDD . Got an external 60Gb setup that I can use , currently has backups on it , but I got lots more drives that data can be saved on .

So do I . Non-lethal , I could say more but I won't .

Reply to
Snag

How exactly do you machine wannabe anyhow? I've heard it's similar to cold folded aluminum...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

An old computer, a few decent webcams, a couple large harddrives (depending on the quality and type of files being saved) and some opensourced software and your set..

ZoneMinder is one app that comes to mind.. I know there's plenty more out there.

Reply to
tnik

It's kind of a word play on my lack of formal training and experience . I'm mostly self-taught , as may be evidenced by the pile of chipped and broken end mills and burned HSS lathe bits ...

Reply to
Snag

This looks good:

RBnDFW

geeks.com has some reasonably priced equipment:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Get a couple of the dummy surveillance cams, about 15 bucks each, which will get the idiot's attention while he/she is being imaged by the real one.

Reply to
Mark F

Maybe something like this?

I bought one of these from this seller:

Had an internal theft problem at home, bought this to catch the perp. Before it arrived, the suspected guilty party decided to go live with their mother full time. Been too busy to give it any sort of test. Has the advantage of being self contained and fairly easily moved from location to location. Disadvantage that if the perp spots it, it's easy to steal...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Consider hardening your system against power failure, would be my advice.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

?

?hash=item58893f2189?> ?

It takes a real moron to not know the difference. There are lots of cheap or dead real cameras floating around. A guy had a couple hundred

2/3" vidicon cameras for a couple dollars each at a flea market a month ago.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, you didn't learn somebody else's bad habits and had a really good teacher that was genuinely interested in his student.

Reply to
Buerste

I had a similar problem with kids taking a shortcut through my backyard and knocking over my woodpile in the process.

I looked around the garage and found an old airhorn and a plunger style air valve. I rigged a fish line tripwire the length of the fence connected to the valve and the horn. One blast is all it took...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

When I was getting broken into on a weekly basis I strung some .020" Stainless Steel wire between some machines at ankle height and had piles of wire trimmings in strategic locations. The intent was to "porcupine" the intruder's face. The union screamed bloody murder and made me remove them.

Reply to
Buerste

Came up with a set of my very own bad habits ... and as far as a good teacher , y'all here had a hand in what I learned .

Reply to
Snag

They're one of the more reasonably priced vendors , I've got a couple of stock numbers written down .

Reply to
Snag

Heh , I'm not constrained by a union . Got a little non-lethal surprise that I set up when I'm going to be away for a while ... And now that the driveway has a gate , my back yard is completely enclosed . Doggie-door time ...

Reply to
Snag

Something I hadn't considered ... thanks .

Reply to
Snag