OT--Taking on city hall

Hmmmm.

Where did this contest take place? I'd like to enter my 1990 E350 Ford Van. The old gal's a little hard to wake up on -10F mornings. That

445c.i. diesel cranks over a few times before one or two cylinders kick off, but once it's shaken all the loose rust off, it settles down and hums like a good lover.

So far the old girl hasn't left me along the road wondering what happened. So she's maybe a little work-worn, but she's reliable. As long as I keep the oil and filters changed, she gets up and takes me to work or wherever with no complaints.

Maybe it's all that expensive diesel fuel I feed her?

I think she'd be proud to win or at least get an Honorable Mention. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:40:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Don't you just hate people like that? I wonder if a word with her real estate boss might be helpful. (S)He might not know about her attacks on all the local folks and might not be happy with it. Perhaps an anonymous note from a post office across town? ;)

Let's say the lot in question is right next door. I wonder how a nice sign would go over, such as "Talk to me before you purchase a home from that slippery Donna Hendryx wench." (Just kidding. ;)

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

-- Wisearse Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's been said that the man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Better that than having a fool for a lawyer. The decent lawyers are usually too busy to take your case. \\

Reply to
Nick Hull

You have to understand of course I'm biased here. My wife had a law practice for many years, and apparently the absolute *worst* situations she had to untangle were the ones where the person "tried to do it himself" first.

For the few times I've had to deal with legal matters, my attorney has been worth the price I paid to help put her through law school.

:^)

The most recent event was when I was ticketed for flashing my lights to warn oncoming drivers of a speed trap.

She knew exactly how to research the case, and how to write the motion to get the charge dismissed. Which it was. There was no WAY I could have done what she did.

I class lawyers mostly in the same catagory as plumbers, electricians, masons, and so on. They have special training and experience which makes paying *them* for their skills cost-effective as opposed to learning to do exactly what they do and how they do it. Of course a lay person with some smarts can learn a great deal of what they know, which makes it easy to communicate with them effectively.

Costs:

$10 per hour

$20 per hour, if you watch

$30 per hour, if you help

$100 per hour, if you tried to do it yourself and screwed it up and then called me....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Or, you wait until she brings a prospective buyer around. Then you wander out into your yard in your best wife-beater undershirt and yell back at the house "Stella, there's strangers next door. Lock up the pit bulls. And bring me out another Bud."

All of which is predicated on your not being a particular friend of the neighbors in the first place.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Would be inneresting to file a trespassing complaint against this wretch. Your proof? Her complaint!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is it such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?

Is this something from Jeopardy? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:00:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Nah, it's a simple demonstration to (and demonization of) those fidiots known as top-posters.

Life's too short to suffer fools and top-posters. ;)

========================================================= The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +

The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bottom posting is so much better.... the futher to the bottom the better.

John

Reply to
John

Hey, if you're going to do it to satisfy the anal, do it right.

Right?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If I am following a thread in a newsgroup, I prefer to read top posted responses because as soon as you open the message, the latest response is right in front of you, and you don't have to scroll down to the bottom of the message to read it.

Reply to
John Busby

The jury is still out on this one. Many of us don't see any sense having to scroll through pages of text we already read on the previous post. It's a kindness to put any reply on the top!!!! It's the fools and fidiots who get it backward and add a one liner at the end of a long post.

Reply to
George Willer

One summer I spent every spare moment rebuilding a 1936 John Deere BR tractor with intent to show it at a nearby collectors show. A day or two after the show I received a letter from the city that they had received a complaint that I was running a business out of my garage repairing vehicles, and no details were given except that an inspector would be out to check things over. I called the city to see what the deal was and as it happened the inspector showed up the day before we were to leave, while I was at work. In my drive was my in-laws motor home, with a trailer attached with my tractor on it. This was told to me by the inspector with a chuckle! He told me not to worry about it was he knew what I had been up to. He asked me about the tractor, the work I had done to it and so forth, just chit-chat. He even asked me how the show went and said he had seen me there and had taken some pictures of my tractor. For those interested,

Greg O

Are you saying that she is a piece of envoiomental waste?

John

Reply to
John

Nice restoration work, Greg.

I'm scared that with the current average experience level of our local code local enforcement personell , I would probly get cited because it has no tires and so therefore is not roadworthy.

I have 8 acres here, adjoining me to the south is an 11 acre tract that's being subdivided, and to the north are another 12 acres that have already sold--the real estate market is just going plain nutz.in my area....maybe time for me to move on to greener pastures, I spose..

The wife and I have actually kinda been considering maybe picking up and moving up nearer to Harold's place--went up as far as the Toledo / Winlock area and looked around a few weeks ago.....sadly, didn't find anything.

Harold, if your reading this--appreciate if you could keep an eye open and let me know if you happen to see any place that might look promising...maybe someplace south / southwest of you, 2~5 acres--prefererably fairly flat and ideally having some small amount of year-round running water...though flat land with some of the acreage having mildly wet, sandy or clay type soil is okay too ( for geo source heating purposes )

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

While I normally bottom post, I'm suggesting that John & George have a case. One reason I suggest they do is that when I click on a post to respond, I find my cursor at the top of the post, ready to accept my response. Why would it be there if that isn't where I should be typing?

Still, aside from this particular post, you'll find my responses at the end------with the unnecessary information typically clipped.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

promising...maybe

I'll keep my eyes open. Have you given any thought to land in the general Onalaska area? I don't get south or west much, so it's a lot easier to keep watch near by. I don't have a favorite real estate agent, but I may be able to check with one and see what's available in the Winlock/Toledo area. . I'll let you know if I hear anything of substance. You're likely looking at a 5 acre minimum purchase. They're making it hard to build on anything less, thanks to the state and controlled development. There are some exceptions.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Nuthin a little back-dating wouldn't cure. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks, Harold--it's much appreciated....

And no, we haven't looked around up as far as Onalaska yet--last time I was in that area was several years ago...been looking at the elevations and whatnot using Google Earth, but really I need to get up there and have a drive around--along Highway 12 anywhere to the west of Mayfield Reservoir, else someplace along SR 508 just might do it.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

snip----

That's much closer to home, and in general pretty nice property. Sadly, property values have escalated seriously in the past couple years, so the killer bargains are gone now. I'm still speechless that we paid only $17,500 for our 5-1/2 acres with an approved septic system. Best surprise of all was when we found out the standing alder alone was worth more than we paid for the land.

I think you're more likely to find a good buy along 508 than along 12, but I'll check anything that comes available. Just tonight a neighbor made mention that he might sell off some of his land, but it's way too soon to know anything.

Are you sure you want a stream? It's not always a good thing, for they force you to stay away from it now----it can render property valueless in some ways because you can't develop it. If you do, you missed a great chance right across from me. 5 acre lots that sold for about $25,000 a few years ago. A nice stream runs through most of them. We're high and dry, but on a slight slope that leads to that stream.

Secluded? View? Wooded? Logged? State your choices so I don't drive you nuts with the wrong package.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos