OT--Taking on city hall

A nosy neighbor didn't like that I parked my travel trailer on a dirt strip on the side of my house. He called zoning, and the zoning compliance officer came out and looked at it. He was obviously miffed that he had to come deal with this situation, as he had far more serious violations to deal with.
He told me that the trailer had to be parked on concrete. The front of my house was all paved. He said I could park it in FRONT of my house if I chose, and I would be in compliance. He also said I could park it on the street if I moved it every 72 hours. He also stated that I could park it IN FRONT of my neighbor's house for 72 hours max. He did say that IF I did put it back on the dirt strip, I had to put up a block wall, thus making the dirt strip a part of the back yard, and that if I parked it where it was, I would be in violation. He basically told me where the lines were, and how to dance inside them.
I shuttled the trailer from in front of my house to in front of my neighbor's house for a month when I sold the trailer. The first time I parked it in front of the neighbor's house, he called in again. I saw the COs truck at their house one day.
Apparently, he informed the neighbor of the law, and that I was in compliance.
I think the neighbor found out that sometimes when you make a wave, it can swamp your own boat as well.
Steve
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:11:39 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

The letter is good, Sam, but could have been better. Addressing their grievances point by point was very good.
In case there's a next time (probable), remember these tips:
1) Don't get facetious or cute with them. If the letter goes to court, it could be pointed out as a taunt from you by their attorney. Plain facts work best and ensure the judge that you are trying your utmost to comply with codes, being a "good neighbor." Anything other than a fact gives them ammo against you. (It doesn't matter how good it may make you, or us, feel about the letter.)
2) Continue to check the codes for city, county, and state if any pertain to your citation. City inspectors expand and trip over these all the time. Look around City Hall and find all the variances they have allowed to the code they're using against you. Get copies in case you need them in court.
3) Spellcheck your letter before you send it. It was great up to the word "bewhildered" which shouldn't have an "h" in it. It totally broke the tone of the letter for me.
And, for heaven's sake, paint your truck so it doesn't look like a typical Chebby, eh? <donning FORD Nomex suit>
(And I should talk, with a blue/primer/rust F-150 out front.)
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================
nice, but you mispelled "actuality"...;^)
how'd it work out?
John

from
of
truck
in
the
new"
tires"
actually
belonging
clutter,
truck,
above
be
expect
deteriorate
being
any
or
by
is
most
violation"
road
site
improperly
laying
some
questions
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Few things in this life offer less payback and result in more mental pain than feuding with an entrenched government bureaucracy. Unless you have $100K sitting around and are willing to hand it to an attorney as a retainer, I'd advise you to make peace with these pinheads. Another option is to move to a place where they aren't.

I have a brother who makes sport of feuding with bureaurats, including IRS, zoning and EPA. He has a history of winning.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

A couple years ago my son's repayment schedule got screwed up by the student loans lender with the result that the total amount became due NOW. Of course, a collection agency got involved and since he was living at home, the phone calls came in on the "house" phone. The main annoying phone person eventually was told not to call any more due to the harassment to which she was subjected whenever she dialed in at 7:00 AM. A couple latter callers were terminated after they discussed personal information without verification of the identity of the person to whom they were speaking. Some of the fun went away once his loans were retired. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Priceless, can I save it for dealing with Dallas TX?
snip, snip, snip .........
boing! ........... idea ............
'Tis the season. Put Christmas lights on your stuff, and some religious figures.
Officials would rather fight with a chainsaw than go after something religious.
Just a thought to buy a few weeks.............
Now, I'm going back to my nap ..............
Steve
Dear Mr. Lockwood,
Thank you very much for your recent letter regarding compliance with County guidlines pertaining to solid waste storage and removal. (Case #SW 05-107)
In accordance with your suggestions, I have carefully reviewed a number of the applicable county statutes and ordinances. Also, in order to address your concerns in the most comprehensive manner possible, I have consulted with officials in several state offices, including the Department of Motor Vehicles, and with representatives of the US Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department Of Transportation, and the US Customs service, among others.
As you explained, the alleged violations on your property are not exactly what they might appear to a casual or uninformed observer. Specifically:
A. According to the State Department of Motor Vehicles and the US Department of Transportation, a motor vehicle is defined as "a vehicle with a motor." Since your truck does not currently qualify as such, you are quite correct in your assertion that the orginal complaint was improper. However, in its current state, the truck may qualify, according to EPA definitions, as a "solid materials retention site." This qualification typically applies to any collection of "metals, plastics, textiles, or any combination thereof, exceeding a gross mass of 100 Kg, and stored in proximity to residential or commercial buildings, public gathering areas, or industrial sites which lack the licenses appropriate for such storage." Since you've made it clear that you understand both the letter and the intent of the applicable codes and regulations, I've assured the local office of the EPA that you will be sending copies of your licences, quality control manuals for solid matter storage and disposal, and also the appropriate certifications and credentials for your firm's safety and environmental affairs officers, at your earliest convenience. For your reference, the EPA case number is 05-122C-90096. The case file will be considered unresolved, pending investigation, until your documents have been received.
You should also be aware that the local fire department will recieve a copy of all entries to the EPA file. Given the tone of your letter, however, I'm sure that your fire-fighting equipment, training of personnel, and emergency preparedness plans, are all in good order, and have been properly registered and approved in advance. As soon as the local fire officials have verified your registrations and certificates, they'll be able to perform the legally mandated on-site inspections.
Also, just to be as helpful as I can, I would respectfully suggest that you contact your accountant or tax advisor, to discuss the possibility that the repairs you're making to the truck might affect its value as an item of taxable personal property, its status as a depreciable piece of industrial equipment, or both.
The repairs to the truck, of course, fall under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Licenses and Inspections, which, if I understand their guidlines correctly, requires that repairs exceeding certain levels of cost, complexity, or duration, be performed only by a licenced automotive technician. Since the removal and replacement of an engine seems clearly to be a very major repair, I've asked an acquaintance at L&I to look up your license, and to confirm that it's current and in good standing. That way, it won't be necessary for them to open a case file or investigate a violation that I'm sure you'd never be guilty of.
The only other matter concerning the truck will be for the regional office of the EPA to verify, probably with an on-site inspection that won't take more than two or three days, that you've followed all applicable rules and guidelines for collection, storage, and/or disposal of potentially hazzardous materials produced by your disassembly of the truck, and your removal of its motor. The materials in question will include, but not be limited to: motor oil, transmission fluid, refrigerants from the air conditioning system if the truck is so equipped, anti-freeze or other ethanol-based coolant additives, nonbiodegradable plastic and rubber parts, any solvents or chemicals used for cleaning the parts of the truck or engine, cloth or paper products which may have been used in conjunction with the solvents or cleaners, and any rainwater which may have come into contact with, mixed with, or disolved, any of the above, and which was not collected in approved catch-basins designed and licensed for that purpose and operated according to EPA guidelines.
I'm sure, based on your letter to me, that you routinely take all necessary precautions. The EPA inspectors, when they arrive at your facility, will very likely be able to save you a great deal of time and effort if you simply present to them all the applicable permits, receipts for fees, and certifications from disposal contractors that you might employ.
B. Unlike your truck, the tires might actually be a problem. If you'll please refer to page 14 of this letter...
Or you could just clean up your damned yard, Mr. Lockwood. You really, REALLY don't want to piss me off right before the holidays.
Sincerely, J. M. Trejo
LOL Very nice. Very scary, lesson noted.
- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX
Kirk Gordon wrote:

Kirk Gordon wrote:

Kirk,
I think you've found your new profession if the machining industry goes bust.
John

In the good old days a rope would have worked wonders, now we have to use a backhoe ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull wrote: <<Snip>>

Yeah, it's a lot harder to find the revenuer's body if it's not hanging on the end of the lynching rope.
Later,
Charlie

Down deep..they are really good people.
Gunner
Kirk Gordon wrote:

<snippage)
Nice one!!! lmao!

others.
Thanks Kirk...
Always appreciate when you can set aside a couple minutes or so to do some writing for us...here's to hoping work is keeping you exactly as busy as you like and that everything else is well with your world.
=Interestingly enough, I've decided to fully cooperate with authoritys...really seems a nice enough guy...just that as his public duty he needs the matter resolved, and so...us working together likely being the very best course of action--in reality this in effect makes me out as the "good guy", and the complaining party to be the "troublemaker"...
Probly gonna conduct a records search to see if the woman that is registering these complaint is in the habit of routinely causing the waste of taxpayer funds with her frivolous claims...this way the agency will at least be better able to logically deal with it should the trend continue.
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Are you saying that she is a piece of envoiomental waste?
John

with
order
you
that
will
and
pending
recieve
and
certificates,
its
of
understand
licenced
case
of.
regional
disposal
the
mixed
and
you
you'll
some
you
duty
the
the
waste
at
continue.
Oh, man--I heard some stories I could tell about her, ( small town--long time local wench )...definately a real piece of work, that one is.
--
SVL

Down deep, Im sure she would be very nice.
Biodegradable too.
Gunner
Don't bother comparing your "stuff" to the "stuff" others have on their property.
Government won't care what others do until they figure it out by themselves or someone complains. Either way, it probably won't change their action towards you.
Only exception to this would be previous judgements that were made on similar situations.
Visit www.yunx.com to see why I'm so adept at government and court proceedings these days... I stopped the log a while back because activity got too hectic. I spent 15 hours yesterday running around filing papers and interviewing people physically assaulted by my tenants.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.