OT: Trying to understand?

In general I would think people posting on this forum are pretty representative of the views of many people in the US.

This being the case I find it hard to understand why exactly, many seem to offer unqualified support for US revenge attacks, against the people of Afghanistan and latterly those of Iraq.

In the case of Afghanistan not one individual with any provable links to

9/11 was either captured or killed (if they had been we would surely have known of this immediately!).

Regarding Iraq there was never even the pretence that attacking its people had anything to do with 9/11.

The thing is those that actually organised and financed the complex operations behind 9/11 are still at large.

The pilots involved in 9/11 were according to commercial pilots experienced in flying the planes involved, almost certainly trained by the military.

Members of the Bin Laden family and other Saudi nationals were flown out of the US before th dust had a chance to settle on victims of 9/11.

These are facts not ridiculous conspiracy theories, and do they not suggest that somewhere other than Afghanistan and Iraq, would have made a more appropriate target for acts of aggression in response to 9/11?

Gummer

I live in a trailer And post lots of shit But for thinking im not well equipped!

Gunner

Reply to
Gummer

I'm sorry that you confuse so easily or that you seem to have difficulty in putting your name behind your views but this is pretty damned simple.

The Taliban government of Afghanistan supported and actively assisted Bin Laden in providing him with places to have training camps. That was in their off hours when they weren't otherwise occupied hanging people in the soccer stadium for not showing a Taliban official the "proper" respect or beating women in the streets with sticks for not having their face fully covered. Feel free to take a hike over there and find any Afghani male (not an ex-Taliban official) or ANY female that isn't thrilled to death over US actions there.

The US or Pakistani government has captured several of the top leaders of Al-Queada (including the guy believed to have done all the planning) as well as a couple of hundred morons at the training camps. We did get informed immediately through all the news channels, I guess that was while you were somewhere in outer space. Welcome back.

experienced

What liberal idiot came up with this pile of bovine fecal matter? The terrorist flying the second plane almost missed the second tower because he was so badly overcorrecting the controls. That's according to me - a licensed private pilot who has ACTUAL knowledge of what it takes to fly a plane.

Saddam was doing everything he could with the billions of oil dollars his country generated to try to build nuclear weapons. As it turns out his executing or jailing every nuke engineer who was given the task seems to have set his program back some. I still can't figure out what in the hell Bush Senior was thinking when he called a cease fire after 4 days back in

1991 when we had a chance to finish the bastard off.

Not that I would EVER accuse the liberal media of distorting facts but if you bother to think about it, Iraq is a country of 24 million people (I'm not sure if that counts the 500K that live in the US because Saddam was going to have them killed). Except for several hundred idiots in Fallujah and other people who had power in the Saddam government who are most definitely worse off now, the VAST majority of Iraqis are spending their time getting on with their lives. If not, Iraq would look like Day 1 of the Tet Offensive.

I personally don't care in the slightest if we find WMD in Iraq or any "proof" of terrorist training camps. We did something that should have been done long ago. In addition to removing two governments in serious need of removal, several countries that told us to take a hike when asked about terrorist training camps in their countries (notably Somalia and Ethiopia) several years ago are now offering maps and guides to take us there. Kaddafi put everything from his fledgling nuke program into a big warehouse and called the UN to tell them to come down and take it. Seems to me like the US is doing a pretty damned good job.

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

The post below made in response to what was I hoped a serious and straightforward question, does go some way to suggest that there is little point in attempting to discuss important issues, with people who have already decided government propaganda has more worth than factual evidence!

Reply to
Gummer

Steve, quit trying to use logic with our..."Mascot", it just doesn't register, I've tried for months and he just won't discuss things when he gets cornered with trivial things like "Facts" or ideas not in line with his narrow thinking. It's a mind-set all too apparent in people that cling to simplistic beliefs because they are incapable of expanding their mind to see a bigger picture. I like his passion though, and it brightens my day to banter with him even though I'm talking to a brick wall. I love his views of "Big Business" and our Controlling Media" -views only held by people that "just don't get it". But, he's not exposed to the real philosophy of America, just what he sees on those wanker websites he refers to. He's young and might grow some wisdom when his testosterone level drops a bit. Until then, enjoy the laughs.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah, I suppose I need to be more "understanding" of liberals. I actually get a fair amount of practice in "understanding" since my little sister fell down some concrete stairs when she was a kid and became one.

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

Just for laughs, on exactly which TV station do I get information from the "government"?

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

That statement is patently wrong.

Jim

jim rozen

You're just encouraging the troll.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Hopefully discouraging. But a numb-nuts comment like his was just too obvious. I had to say *something*.

My apologies. It won't happen again.

Jim

jim rozen

Yeah, that's what the troll counts on. Says something soo controversial that he's sure to get replies. I've noticed he's gone the extra mile to change names to avoid filters.

No need to applogize, just don't let it happen again! ;)

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Right, but I was commenting on the error of his presupposition. This NG probably is way, way far over on any *number* of bell curves for the members to be considered lumped in with the general populace. I don't really need to elaborate on the peculiarities here but my favorite story was the overbuilt mailbox that sheared the blade bolts on the snowplow.

We don't think like other people. We don't act like other people. They can't market to us. Enigmatic would be the best descriptor.

Reply to
jim rozen

If you wish to discuss the issues directly with the wee lad..he has been emailing me using this address

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Head injuries may have long lasting consequences. My condolences.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

For once Jim and I agree.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Would you say the postings of "Gunner" are representative of people in the US generally then?

Gummer02

Reply to
Gummer02

No. I'm saying that trying to reduce everyone to a cultural stereotype is nonproducive, and doing that here is particularly dumb.

Jim

jim rozen

Hey hey hey now. There's that time you commented that the first amendment was important. There's one.

And we both think TR was quite the icon. Another one.

Further updates as they occur...

Jim

jim rozen

Would you say Your postings are representative of the people in Britian?

Please say it aint so... please...

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Wow! You get e-mails from this, um, person? How'd you get so lucky? Does he have anything original to say or is it the same blather? Sue

Reply to
Sue

I think perhaps if you are in the US, that you are going to get propaganda originating from the US government on nearly every TV station. After all this was the country where prior to GW2 60% of people believed that Saddam was directly reponsible for 9/11!

Norman

Reply to
Norman Stuart