OT: Upgrade my network

what, CAT5? yes, 100Megabits per second, full duplex any other coax? didn't know anyone bothered anymore....
but I'd say, what about radio? 802.11 is reasonably cost effective now, each PC gets a PCI network card and they'll talk to each other. if the radio won't work across the long gaps between buildings, you can use high gain antennas to do end to end connections. if you still want wire inside the buildings, CAT5 with a small switching hub, with one wire to a 802.11 link to the house etc... quite doable up to 10 miles or more....
like this http://www.d128.com/wireless / or this http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448 or this http://nocat.net / or this http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010628.html
what's my involvement? a very interested party..... at home I have 2 computers that were using coax till it failed and within a few days will be running CAT5 100baseT (cross over cable) sometime in the next few months I will buy a switch, prob 5 port. sometime after that I will get a 802.11 unit and build a yagi antenna, and see what I can pick up around town (just for experiment sake)
this will also feed the workshop, some 9 meters away from the house. this might take a year or more to accomplish. so what... (-:
at the end of it I'll have a puta in the workshop driving various CNC things, connected wirelessly to the house so I can transfer CAD files etc, the pc's in the house talking to each other so the email server/firewall can manage the kids/wifes email without running up the phone bill. in time more PC's will arrive, and they'll prob get connected via CAT5 to the hub since running it in the ceiling is easy and cheap. BUT, 802.11 PCI cards are dropping in price, so it may be cheaper to go with radio links.
swarf, steam and wind
-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\ http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.
DejaVU wrote:

The desirability of wireless depends on where you live and the construction materials. Metal buildings, appliances, etc can block the signals. From what I read the security on the current version isn't very good; passwords transmitted in the clear. If you're in the middle of nowhere and trust your neighbors, all of whom are 1000' or more away, it's not bad. Yes I'm paranoid. but it doesn't mean someone won't be out to get me <g>. I read something recently about a new version of the security spec. that works. The question is if current stuff can be upgraded via a download or new hareware required.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in