OT? - V8 Powered Chainsaw?

I can't wait to see what's next....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

According to Jeff Wisnia :

To save you the trouble of discovering this your yourself, this needs Microsoft Windows Media Player, so if you are on other systems, don't bother -- all you will see is a black area with nothing happening in the frame.

And -- it apparently also requires Active-X to be enabled, which also isn't going to happen on a non-Windows box.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

False. The video and sound ran perfectly on my eMac with no drama.

Reply to
Ted Bennett

Snicker! Largest motor on a chain saw. The bar is far to tiny to be the largest. I used to live in the Big timber area - Two man - one on each end type.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I viewed it just fine on my Linux system. Yes, I had to install a bunch of stuff, and tinker with it a bit to make it work. Mostly, I downloaded and built mplayer, and some extended libraries for it that can use MicroSoft's dll format of driver/video codec.

As for insanity, this is right UP THERE! Does anyone know what that V8 engine is? Got to be an aluminum block, those 2 guys aren't as big as sumo wrestlers. They basically just DROP the thing on the log!

Many years ago (must have been around 1960) I saw a homemade sawmill that used a 409 engine and a 48" diameter blade. It definitely was NOT portable.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

too much like a top fuel rail doing a burnout. Umm, they don't need 3000 Hp to cut that log.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I worked one end, (the motor end) of a two-man chainsaw on the Alaskan Pipeline. Permanently damaged my hearing, unfortunately...

Reply to
Emmo

Have you installed Internet Explorer on your Mac?

It certainly does not run using Opera on my Sun workstations. And with Mozilla, it pops up a dialog box saying:

This page contains information of a type (application/x-mplayer2) that can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in

Click OK to download Plugin

[ OK ]

And -- clicking on it takes me to a Sun site which offers only Java, Adobe Acrobat, RealPlayer, and Macromedia Flash -- none of which are the required plugin.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No. Why would I want that bloatware?

Sounds like a problem. Why do you put up with it?

Reply to
Ted Bennett

According to Ted Bennett :

Because I would rather have that relatively minor problem than have to run Windows exposed to the net, and have to deal with the never-ending flood of viruses and security patches.

I don't run RealPlayer or Macromedia Flash (even though they are available for my system) because I don't trust the security holes which they may open.

And -- if your Mac plays that image, it must have *something* which understands and acts on active-x, even if it is *not* a Windows box.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Plays just fine on my Mac!

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Hi, My father owned a hydraulic chainsaw. We would hook the pump onto the PTO of a small farm tractor to power it. Jamming the chain could stall the tractor.

Enjoy Roger Haar

"Daniel A. Mitchell" wrote:

Reply to
Roger Haar

I remember reading an old Hot Rod Magazine that had an article on a two-man small block Chevy powered chainsaw and a one-man chainsaw powered by a Harley-Davidson engine.

Reply to
Hari Seldon

Should have seen "Mega machines" (or one of those such titles) on the History channel the other night (last week?). They had a chainsaw-like design that was designed for trenching solid rock. The "chain" looked like a tank track and they powered it with 1500 horsepower (3000?) - they had a second 300 hp engine just to run the tracks for moving it and running the hydraulics. Seems to me it could cut a trench 20+ feet deep in solid rock - they used it for laying pipes etc in areas where it was rock. Maybe it was on the Discovery channel. The thing was HUGE and had this giant "chain" with carbide tips that just munched through solid rock. They said you can feel the ground vibrate quite a distance away from this when it is running.

Reply to
Mike Fields

As Don has noted, you can't view this clip on a Sun machine. Today I finally got chance to look at this on my father's Windows box. The clip is quite cool, but guess what? I have the same problem as Abrasha. No sound! I try to figure out what's wrong, but can't in 5 minutes so leave it alone. It does confirm some of my earlier suspicions, though:

(i) I hate websites which require plugins. Why they can't just put a link to a video file, let you download it and use whatever (decent) player you want, I don't know. I also hate websites which don't consider that their visitors might be using something other than Windows and IE.

(ii) I hate Windows Media Player.

(iii) I hate Windows XP.

Rant over.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

If you look at the source, the file name is right there:-

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yep -- "WMV" = "Windows MoVie". I don't know whether anyone has yet written an open-source program to display those on various flavors of unix.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Kaffienne on linux. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

Xine for Solaris plays the older version of WMV, but not the newer version. Admittedly I have an old version of Xine, but I don't think I can be bothered to upgrade for the sake of watching one video clip. I wish people would just use AVI or MPG instead.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy
[ ... ]

Thanks. I'm downloading it as I type.

Amen!

But Microsoft is infected with NIH syndrome, and tries to force the world to follow.

Thanks again, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols