OT washing machine repair story

I have just finished replacing the pump on my washing machine. As a die-hard do it your selfer, this is not the first time I have locked horns with the beast, it is the third. To bring you up on the story, I will first describe round one and round two as this gives context to the story of round three.

About three years ago the machine stopped agitating. I could hear the motor run, the pump was working but it would not spin, nor would the agitator slosh the clothes around.

How tough could this be I ask myself? Well I figured that the worst part of the job would be clearing the crap out from around the washing machine. My soon to be ex wife created piles of stuff everywhere, and the laundry area was no exception. (She suffered from Bipolar II.) When I finally got some working room I attempted to disassemble the machine. I was having no luck so I inverted the machine. There is a small amount of water that remains in the machine that does not get pumped out. I bet you can guess how I found this interesting fact out.

With the machine up side down, I saw the problem. There is a coupler that connects the motor and the transmission. It is a disk of rubber with six holes and the motor and the transmission have plastic disks with three prongs each that fit in the holes. This was shot. I worked and worked to get the pump and motor off the machine having to make several runs to buy tools to access recalcitrant bolts. This was on a Saturday, and I had to wait for Monday to get the part to fix the thing.

I also came to the conclusion that I had taken the wrong approach to disassembling the machine but I did not know exactly how I had failed but I figured that I should buy the repair manual for $15.95 or I would be forever to reassemble the thing. I got the part on Monday, but I had to wait for the book so I waited to read the book to complete the project.

While I was waiting for the book, laundry was piling up so a trip to the Laundromat was required. I was on call the next week-end (I am a locksmith) so I read the book and found out that it was very simple to disassemble the machine, two screws, two clips and unplug one plug and you have access to the works. Grumble grumble.

I returned to my task when I was off call, and when I righted the machine I discovered that all of transmission gear oil had leaked out of the machine. It was only about a pint of oil but it was a big mess, and I had to completely disassemble the drum and agitator assembly to access the transmission.

The repair manual said nothing about what kind of oil to use, not how to go about refilling the transmission. Its suggestion was that this was beyond the scope of the do it your selfer. Arrrrrgggghh.

Undaunted, I disassembled the transmission and decided to use good old 90 weight gear oil for a car.

I had to guess the proper level, and was lucky that the gasket had survived the disassembly in tact. Having cleaned up all of the oil and reassembled everything the washer work flawlessly.

A year later the machine was always going out of balance so I consulted the book and this time I knew how to take the thing apart. Several plastic thingies were worn and ordered them and waited about 4 days for the parts to arrive in the mail. Installing these buggers was a little more involved but I finally got them in and the machine back together. In the process of installing the little plastic thingies, I had neglected to reattach a hose clamp that I slid out of the way and did not reattach the clamp prior to reassembling the machine.

The hose stayed put while I ran a test load with the empty washer. I then (needing underwear for the next day) loaded a full load of whites with soap and bleach and started the cycle.

When the washer hit the spin cycle, and began to pump out all of the dirty soapy bleachy water the hose popped of the pump and I had a flood. Clean up mess, take the machine apart and reattach the hose.

About two months ago I noticed a leak, not a big leak, but a leak nonetheless. I had assumed incorrectly that the cause was the drain vacuum breaker. This has gotten clogged before and a cleaning has solved the problem. It was not the vacuum breaker this time it was the pump leaking Two months of mopping up after each load finally drove me to take apart the machine again, and this is where I discovered the leaky pump.

Hey at least this was an easy fix, two screws, two clips and the case comes off. Two clips and two hose clamps and the pump comes off. I had left the case off the machine and today the new pump came in the mail. I had several gallons of water in the tub, and for days it had been leaking into a drip pan that I had put under the leaky pump and I had emptied the thing twice a day and mopped up the water that I spilled when I emptied the tray but there was still water in the tub. Damn the pump is the low point and there is no provision to drain the water. I was faced with the choice of waiting a couple of weeks for all the water to drip out or do something else. I had to fight to remove the switch from the lid to so I could plug it in to pump out the water so I could remove the pump. In the process of removing the switch, a little clip flew off and I had to go hunting for it. I had picked up a two-gallon bottle of pine sol and set it on top of the case while I was hunting for the little clip.

I then attempted to remove the hoses from the pump and carefully catch the remaining water in my drip pan. Too much water or two small of a pan but I was again cleaning up water off the floor where I had to lay in order to change the pump. The floor now dry, and the hoses off, I pop the two clips off the pump and the pump is stuck. I finally get the pump off but the shaft is badly rusted from the leaking pump. About 45 minutes of scraping, chipping and grinding and the rust is gone. I apply some grease and the new pump slips in place like it belonged there. I reattach the hose clamps this time and decide it is time for a break.

Into the kitchen for a nice cold bottle of beer, and the case from the washing machine is a little too far into the kitchen to allow the fridge door to open. I scootch the case back into the laundry room and that bottle of Pine-Sol goes crashing to the floor. I hear a glug, glug, glug and I am back on damage control. I estimate about 2 quarts of the stinky slippery stuff is on the floor and oozing.

Pine-Sol as you may know is water-soluble and designed to be diluted before use. In other words it is a royal Canadian pain the ass to mop up. My whole house smells like a turpentine distillery, the bathtub and bathroom that I cleaned up is now filthy.

I hope this is the last round of washing machine repair for a while.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Much pain snipped...

It's locksmith charmic payback.

If you guys would help DIY's work on locks, perhaps you'd have better charma working on home appliances (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim,

I help out all the time on lock work but I draw the line at explaining to folks how to defeat locks. The reason for this is that once I teach someone how to do this, then it might very well be the lock locking up *your* tools or other stuff *you* would like to keep.

I hope you liked my washing machine story.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Who's X doesn't? JR Dweller in the cellar

Roger Shoaf wrote: My soon to be ex wife (She suffered from Bipolar II.)

Reply to
JR North

Maybe time for a new one, their not that expensive.

In the meantime, can you use a Shopvac to vacumm the water out of the tub prior to repair? It would make things much easier. I use a shop vac to remove the remaining water in a toilet tank if I need to pull the tank from the bowl. Keeps the water getting all over the bathroom floor.

Tony

Reply to
tony

I got the pump for about $30 a new washing machine would have been about $600. If everything had gone according to plan, it would have been about a half an hour to R&R the pump.

A couple of points. The water was in the outer tub the inner tub (The one that has the holes you can see when you open the lid.) was dry.

What might have worked is if I hooked up the shop vac to the drain hose. Thanks for the idea, perhaps next time I will try that. Of course now that the machine has a new pump, it will probably be 10 to 15 years before I need to replace the pump again.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I had hoped the smiley at the end would mean you wouldn't take it too seriously. I'm sure you're as helpful as your ethics allow, but that's not been my experience with locksmiths, either locally or on the internet.

I did like your washing machine story. I've been there, but without the Pinesoll. I know what it's like to have 2 females semi-hysterically telling me that they *can't* wait until Tuesday when the Maytag man comes and that I need to fix it *now*. Sigh.

Well, sorry again that you were offended with my comment.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Roger,

I certainly enjoyed the story. When they ring true they become "literature".

Many of us has been there, done that, etc. After 20 years, 2 pumps, rebuilding timer, water solenoid, etc; the last time it died I told to go pick out a new set. The new dryer only lasted 2 weeks. I tested the power to the machine end of the pigtail, yes, it had power. Boy, was I tempted to keep on going; but I told her it would probably void the warranty. She told me to leave it alone, which I did and left my tools on the dryer. She said the first thing the repairman asked is whether I had been in it. The nerve!!!

Turned out being a fuse just inside the case. I could probably have done that without spilling the Pinesol.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Last time I needed the Maytag man was when the water level switch on the dishwasher went bye-bye on a Saturday night and since, at that time, I worked out of town all week, Sunday was my only chance to fix the problem. I gave the repairman a call and he suggested I come pick up the part between 9 and 10 next morning - he works from home - and install it myself as I had done with all other parts he had supplied. The household was happy again by Sunday noon. Incidentally, I now have most of three parts machines at a total cost of eleven dollars - less than the cost of the new silverware basket I needed when I started collecting. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I really did not take offence, I was only offering an explanation of why I never disclose certain things.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Good story and I empathize with you. I bought my Whirlpool in 1981 and have only spent about $35 in maintenance over that time period. Why should we reward the manufacturers by buying new ones that only last 4-6 years now?

Reply to
Gary Brady

I used to sell and repair commercial laundry equipment so when our washer died at home I figured I would take a crack at fixing it. I did get it repaired again, but spent the better part of the weekend doing so! A year later when it died again I threw in the towel and bought a new washer and figured it was money well spent. Commercial equipment was easy compared to the homeowner stuff! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Ill have to go home and post the BEST appliance website Ive ever found..its book marked. Great pictures of each step etc.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner