OT: What constitutes a "High Crime or Misdemeanor"?

No, I'm referring to the information from the CIA and others that said some crucial pieces of "intelligence" that led us to war were either not credible or that they came from questionable sources.

But the administration wanted to go to war again Hussein really, really bad, and those caveats just would have taken the wind out of the whole enterprice, eh?

It was enough to keep Clinton from being reckless, but not enough for Bush.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Two boys in Boston were playing baseball when one of them was attacked by a rabid Rotweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy ripped a board off of a nearby fence, wedged it into the dog's collar and twisted it,breaking the dog's neck.

A newspaper reporter from the Boston Globe witnessed the incident and rushed over to interview the boy. The reporter began entering data into his laptop, beginning with the headline: "Brave Young Red Sox Fan Saves Friend From Jaws Of Vicious Animal"

"But I'm not a Red Sox fan," the little hero interjected.

"Sorry" replied the reporter. "But since we're in Boston, Mass, I just assumed you were." Hitting the delete key, the reporter began: "John Kerry Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Dog Attack"

"But I'm not a Kerry fan either," the boy responds.

The reporter says, "I assumed everybody in this state was either for the Red Sox or Kerry or Kennedy. What team or person do you like? "

"I'm a Texas Ranger fan and I really like George W. Bush" the boy says.

Hitting the delete key, the reporter begins again: "Arrogant Little Conservative Bastard Kills Beloved Family Pet"

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Oh yes..the intel that came from the Clinton administration. Afterall..they did pack the CIA with their appointees..got rid of a large chunk of the HUMINT budget and put in the electronic Intel sources you lads on the left are pissing and moaning about...does Monitoring Emails and phone conversations ring any bells?

You mean all those Clinton plans for regime change and all those cruise missiles wasnt reckless? He really did intend to blow up an asprin factory and a dairy?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The intel that came from a CIA that G.W. had been in charge of for over two years before we invaded Iraq. How many more years was he going to let go by before he decided to take responsibility for it?

Of course, if Bush hadn't decided to sweep under the rug those concerns that the CIA had for the veracity of the information, the country wouldn't have gone along with the war in the first place. As Cliff says, 'found those WMDs yet?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

He hasn't yet.

LOL Good one Ed!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

You mean the same CIA/FBI that missed 8 yrs of WTC preperation under the Clintons that ended with 19 people flying airliners into buildings? Not to mention the Kobar Towers, WTC 1 and so forth.

You mean these concerns?

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."

--President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."

--President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."

--Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."

--Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." Letter to President Clinton, signed by:

-- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

-Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."

-- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies." Letter to President Bush, Signed by:

-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."

-- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."

-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."

-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."

-- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."

-- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."

-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."

-- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"

-- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."

-- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."

-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."

-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Gunner Asch

Yes, the same one. It appears that Bush thought it was just fine, too, even after the WTC was attacked.

He had two years to fix anything he thought was wrong with it. But the only thing he "fixed" was to make sure that none of the negative indicators about Iraq reached the public. After all, he'd already decided he wanted to go to war and wasn't going to let the facts get in the way.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Koz writes on Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:02:41 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

What's a real crack up is that the same proponents of a Living Constitution, all of a sudden are Strict Originalists, when suddenly they discover that "sauce goose, sauce gander" is not an old cooking cliche.

-- pyotr filipivich Typos, Grammos and da kind are the result of ragin hormones Fortesque Consulting: Teaching Pigs to Sing since 1968.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Oddly there never has been much fuss about politically protected speech. There isn't much interpretation along the 'living constitution' folks that's been needed.

Basically from 1776 onward, if it's political speech, it's protected by the first amendment.

Besides, it sounds to me like almost everyone on this board is a strict constructionalist anyway. Except maybe the gun folks, when it doesn't suit their needs, that is.

Granted there are some who would say that we should give the federal government unfettered power to control the press, and likewise give them uncontrolled power to execute seaches without warrants. I cannot say what motivates them but anyone who says "let the govenment take care of it, we trust them completely" is doomed to disapointment.

At best.

What I cannot tolerate though is the argument that some need for temporary expedience requires us as citizens to abandon the bill of rights.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

LOL!!! Yes indeed!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Like these?

We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans...

When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans, it was assumed that the Americans who had that freedom would use it responsibly ... [Now] there's a lot of irresponsibility. And so a lot of people say there's too much freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it.

If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.

You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say.

There is no reason for anyone in this country- anyone except a police officer or military person- to buy, to own, to have, to use a handgun. The only way to control handgun use in this country is to prohibit the guns.

The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people.

I think the definition [of an impeachable offense] should include any criminal acts, plus a willful failure of the President to fulfill his duty to uphold and execute the laws of the United States. The third factor that I think constitutes an impeachable offense would be willful, reckless behavior in office, just totally incompetent conduct in the office and the disregard of the necessities that the office demands.

"If a President of the United States ever lied to the American people he should resign." -

"It depends on what the meaning of the word is is. If the...if he...if is means is and never has been, that is not - that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement"

The above quote are from Bill Clinton.

A few more to mull over.....

A lot of presidential memoirs, they say, are dull and self-serving. I hope mine is interesting and self-serving. William J. Clinton

American and Israel share a special bond. Our relationship is unique among all nations. Like America, Israel is a strong democracy, a symbol of freedom, and an oasis of liberty, a home to the oppressed and persecuted. William J. Clinton

I am in support of the NRA position on gun control. William J. Clinton

I don't believe you can find any evidence of the fact that I have changed government policy solely because of a contribution. William J. Clinton

I haven't eaten at a McDonald's since I became President. William J. Clinton

I like the job. That's what I'll miss the most... I'm not sure anybody ever liked this as much as I've liked it. William J. Clinton

I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale. William J. Clinton

I was an equal opportunity eater. Every ethnic group got a shot. William J. Clinton

If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program. William J. Clinton

In the new economy, information, education, and motivation are everything. William J. Clinton

In today's knowledge-based economy, what you earn depends on what you learn. Jobs in the information technology sector, for example, pay 85 percent more than the private sector average. William J. Clinton

It takes a long time to turn a big country around. Just be of good cheer and keep working on it. William J. Clinton

Let me say this as clearly as I can: No matter how sharp a grievance or how deep a hurt, there is no justification for killing innocents. William J. Clinton

Let us all take more responsibility, not only for ourselves and our families but for our communities and our country. William J. Clinton

My plan after office is to get up and spend that entire first day helping my wife move into her new senatorial office. William J. Clinton

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. William J. Clinton

One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line. William J. Clinton

Part of our essential humanity is paying respect to what God gave us and what will be here a long time after we're gone. William J. Clinton

Poor Darrell Hammond. What's he going to do when I leave office? William J. Clinton

Saddam Hussein didn't kill 3,100 people on Sept. 11. Osama bin Laden did, and as far as we know he's still alive. William J. Clinton

Strength and wisdom are not opposing values. William J. Clinton

The 22nd Amendment should probably be modified to say two consecutive terms instead of two terms for a lifetime. William J. Clinton

The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists. If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow. William J. Clinton

The new rage is to say that the government is the cause of all our problems, and if only we had no government, we'd have no problems. I can tell you, that contradicts evidence, history, and common sense. William J. Clinton

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America. William J. Clinton

To realize the full possibilities of this economy, we must reach beyond our own borders, to shape the revolution that is tearing down barriers and building new networks among nations and individuals, and economies and cultures: globalization. It's the central reality of our time. William J. Clinton

Today, many companies are reporting that their number one constraint on growth is the inability to hire workers with the necessary skills. William J. Clinton

We must teach our children to resolve their conflicts with words, not weapons. William J. Clinton

When I took office, only high energy physicists had ever heard of what is called the Worldwide Web... Now even my cat has its own page. William J. Clinton

When we make college more affordable, we make the American dream more achievable. William J. Clinton

You are the most powerful cultural force in the world. William J. Clinton

You can put wings on a pig, but you don't make it an eagle. William J. Clinton

You know, everybody makes mistakes when they are president. William J. Clinton

Gunner Asch

a few more for you to reflect on...read them in order.....

"Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all." [Nikita Khrushchev , February 25, 1956 20th Congress of the Communist Party]

"All our lives we fought against exalting the individual, against the elevation of the single person, and long ago we were over and done with the business of a hero, and here it comes up again: the glorification of one personality. This is not good at all." [Vladimir Lenin, as quoted in Not by Politics Alone]

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." [Hillary Clinton, 1993]

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans ..." [President Bill Clinton, 'USA Today' March 11,

1993: Page 2A]

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: "Glenn Ashmore" writes on Thu, 22 Dec

2005 21:55:27 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Sweetums, we recognize the difference between a Constitution which is the law of the land, and a Constitution which is a Living Breathing Document.

Yeah, that's what Bubba wanted to believe. Much more convenient to believe that McVeigh pulled the operation together entirely on his own.

Of course, there is evidence that it was as much of an Al Qaeda operation as not. But nobody wants to face the implications of that involvement. Not even after a suicide bomber blows himself up outside a Oklahoma college football game.

I have. I haven't seen any reason to be overly concerned. At least no more than I have over the last thirty years.

It is funnier than a crutch watching Democrats and liberals sudden hysterical over the idea of a national ID card, when they were so ecstatic over the idea of a Universal Medical Care card just a few short years ago.

fnord, they want to be kept safe, as long as it doesn't inconvenience them.

-- pyotr filipivich Denial is not a river in Egypt, "Denial is a save-now-pay-later scheme, a contract written entirely in small print, for in the long run, the denying person knows the truth on some level." LTC Grossman.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

You sir are a nut case.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

You sir, know nothing about it. I strongly suggest you dig a little deeper than the first 30 pages of ARRP magazine.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Let me summarize this...

"Bill Clinton's Fault, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

Sounds like gunner's at that 'ol familiar river in egypt....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I notice you didnt refute any of those quotes. Was there a reason you were unable..er..unwilling to do so?

And why did you snip em, rather then quote the entirty of the post as you usually do?

Laugh laugh laugh

You lefties are sooooo easy to screw with.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

It's getting old my friend. The country is heading over the waterfall and the best you can do is say 'it's his fault.'

Oil is going to be sold in euros pretty soon, and the debt in the country is spiraling out of control. There's no hope of ever ending the overseas war and it seems like all our politicos are flat-out crooks.

And you're still stuck in the past, nostalgic for the days when everything that was wrong with the country was summed up with 'democrat' or maybe it was 'clinton.'

Does anyone really believe that we should set our collective sights on 'what was wrong 6 years ago?' Or that by somehow burning clinton alive at the chappaqua stake it will somehow reverse all the disasters that the shrubster has foisted off on us?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Odd..I didnt blame anyone. I did point out some issues with one of your icons that you gave a pass to. Odd how you do that so often, yet display such angst if some other political party does the same.

Yes?

In those days..every thing that was wrong with the country WAS democrat or Clnton. You seem to be missing that point. Yet you allowed it to happen. What is transpiring today..is the culmination of 50 yrs of Democrat misdeed and misplanning. Damned shame you are now blaming the mechanic for having a hard time fixing the car of the ditzo blond who ran it into the ground.

Chappaqua or Chappaquidic?

It takes time to fix that blonds car...or a patient riddled with cancer that was treated too late. With luck..the prognosis is good..if not..well..thats why I became a survivalist. Not because of Bush..but because we survivalists could see the hand writing on the wall. many many years ago..Democrats again....lots of disasters in the making..now coming home to roost.

I hope you are not one of those that perish in the Burnoff. Id miss your wity repartee.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

There's that nostalgia again gunner. That was then, this is now. You need to keep your head in the moment.

Actually that was pretty funny. :^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen