Britain's answer to knife crime

means. 40-50 GBP= 65-81$US. You can make a shank out of a file or other piece of steel, even hot rolled.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

An old bicycle spoke works well in the right place. You don't even need to sharpen it. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

We've come full circle. I watched a program about knives. Seems in Jolly Olde, male dinner guests brought their own knives to carve meat and cut their portions. One of the upper class had the "butter knife" designed so that he could have the men leave their weapons at home and there would be less chance of stabbings at dinner parties.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And, of course, the only way to use a knife as a weapon is to stab someone. Slashing is, as everyone in the UK is apparently aware, completely ineffective.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

and there I was, thinking 4 seconds on a bench grinder...

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman scrawled the following:

How cute, a chef's butter knife! How's a person to dice celery or cut their steak, hmmm? Ucking Fidiots!

Q is rolling over in his grave and Bond just gave up his Brit citizenship.

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:34:50 GMT, the infamous Stealth Pilot scrawled the following:

Egad, how uncouth! Don't they have diamond hones Down Under?

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Easy enough to outlaw bench grinders next.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Bugger that, it wouldn't even open a can of soup when you've lost the can opener :-(

Wouldn't be a lot of use for carving a roast for that matter.

Silly season must have come a bit early this year.

Mark Rand (with a reasonable selection of Sheffield made kitchen knives) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It looks a little like a gutting knife. The dull point is slipped under the skin, and a sharp notch then cuts through the skin and a thin layer of muscle, keeping you from cutting into the viscera. You'd have to sharpen the notch between the rounded part and the real blade, but you can do that by hand, with an ordinary stone.

If you see a rise in gutting crimes in the UK, you'll know that your killers have adapted to the tools at hand. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:49:35 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand scrawled the following:

No, rounded edges wouldn't do much of anything but cut butter, and that only if it had -not- been refrigerated first.

It ends and restarts?

For now...

-- Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My worry is that they would outlaw angle grinders! Our favourite "fix anything" tool over in uk.d-i-y.....

Reply to
newshound

| >================ | >Another attempt to solve a non-technical problem by technical | >means. 40-50 GBP= 65-81$US. You can make a shank out of a file | >or other piece of steel, even hot rolled. | >

| An old bicycle spoke works well in the right place. You don't even | need to sharpen it. | Gerry :-)} | London, Canada

A long screwdriver would work just as deadly. I'm waiting for the new British designed anti-stabbing screwdriver.

Reply to
R T Smith

I can fix that knife for you.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Mark, I have a problem squaring this with reality. Of all the countries that tend to ally with us when military actions are taken, your nation(s) tend to be first in line. Then I see this stuff. The dichotomy is hard to understand.

Wes

Wes

Is "Angle Grinder Man" still active? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Tools are scary to a populace generally unaccustomed to use of tools. Tradesmen use tools, military use weapons, and so on.

I once hired (rented) a small electric chainsaw (Milwaukee if it matters) at a hire shop in London to cut down a rather runty lila tree. We could have done it in 5 minutes with a bucksaw -- if they had bucksaws there, but I didn't see any at the local store and my SIL wanted to do it with a chainsaw so that's what we did.

The dufflebag full of safety kit that came with that chainsaw was amazing. I don't know how anyone could work wearing all that stuff. Chaps, knee guards, full face shield, earmuffs, gauntlets, holy moly Ole! The guy said they had to supply it with each rental and we were strongly advised to use it.

I said I was from Minnesota, USA where chainsaws are about as common as hammers,screwdrivers and rifles, I owned a couple and used them as and when necessary or useful.

We still had to take the duffle full of kit. No prob.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Apparently it's actually the law in Germany, not only to USE the safety gear, but to get a permit to operate a chainsaw. This from an acquaintance there (ca Dec '08).

I had to attend the German beginners class on proper usage and proper cutting with a chain saw. It's a new law here. Plus you must wear the new safety overhauls,boots and helmit with ear protection. 300 dollars later I have my offical depolma.

I had a Remington chainsaw in the '80s but the rifle was a Ruger.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

My issued M16 was a Harrington & Richardson. It could drop a tree in a few seconds.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins