OT: Winter Hunting (but does have metal content)

Here ya go, boys and girls: How to have fun and get dinner at the same time! Brass and lead content ensured.

I'll bet it knocked that buck back a _few_ yards, y'think?

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cool!

And its unlikely you will bust a tooth when eating the meat, unlike a bird shot by a shotgun.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

But if you ingest one of those 'pellets' you may wind up with a bit of an obstruction! Which brings to mind that stupid joke....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yeah, but I bet he didn't walk far either.

That just gave me a thought - the same load of canister shot and sabot loaded into a Punkin Chunker air-cannon barrel...

Much quieter to fire than a 12-pound Mountain Howitzer (if you don't count the gas motor air compressor you used to charge the tank), much less smoke, and probably the same terminal velocity.

And better Plausible Deniability.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

pretty funny stuff. check out the feral cat article

Doug

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:40:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Same velocity? Aren't combustion pressures a WEE bit over 120 PSI? ;) It would definitely be quieter...unless the added weight made the chunker barrel decide to explode.

But aren't 2 of the main reasons for shootin' simply to be able to listen to the explosion of powder and smell the lovely smell? Meat's tertiary in hunting, isn't it? Hmm, getting back into nature might be third, so meat could be a lagging fourth reason.

Bwahahaha! Good 'un, Bruce.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 20 Nov 2005 14:42:51 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Doug" quickly quoth:

"That load was a bit too hot...?" Har!

I should have checked out the root URL earlier. Thanks for sharing.

P.S: This article is sure to put Gunner in a deep quandary.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Why? Ive been known to pragmatically terminate feral cats as a matter of practicality, with only a bit of remorse. However..not with such panache and style.

I loved the headshot. Momma kitty never felt a thing.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The guy seemed to be AWFULY afraid of the game warden/DNR officer, etc. I really don't see the problem. I mean, he WAS using a shotgun, right? It was just a tad larger gauge than most hunters prefer, but as far as the law is concerned, a shotgun is a shotgun, I would think. They don't acutally SPECIFY the gauges that are appropriate, do they? Anyway, he could argue this thing was a 12-gauge. Uhh, 12-pound, that's the same as gauge, right?

There might be a problem using that lead shot, I don't see why he didn't use steel ball bearings for the shot. Then there wouldn't be much anyone could complain about.

He didn't say how LONG he had to wait for that buck to come within range. Could have been sitting there a while.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson wrote in news:S86dndy7E607CB_enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The problem with that is, in Wisconsin the guage of shot that can be used is defined and 'buckshot' is a no no.

Reply to
nevermind

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:42:47 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon Elson quickly quoth:

The howitzer might be OK re: barrel length, but the mortar is definitely a mite short for legalities. The pic of the cute little feral (not likely) kitten in the mortar shows that without a doubt.

Yed soitenly break a toof on those, suh.

Most hunters doe, er, do.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you have even the ability to turn around 360 degrees while standing in one spot, it gives you an advantage. Turning the cannon would be a major effort. Also, adjusting the elevation would allow you to adjust for the range to the target. I guess this is a short-range weapon, anyway, and will down anything standing within range of it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson