Outcome -- lubing drill press column

220 weight way oil indeed works wonders. Thanks to all for suggestions. i
Reply to
Ignoramus28652

That's good to know. I suppose I should now go and get some (since it was me that suggested it :-). It will probably work better on the vertical ways of my shaper than the 68 grade that I've got at the moment.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If you were in the US, I would just mail you a small bottle of it. I have a whole gallon of it (that's what mcmaster had as a minimum), which is way more than what I need.

Ignoramus9104

No, it is about as heavy.

That is not at all what I observed.

Ignoramus9104

Is 220 wt way oil more viscous than say straight 40 wt automotive oil? I was astonished to find that 90 wt gear oil is about as viscous as

30 wt automotive oil.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The real issue is two standards are used and IIRC are not related.

One is SAE automotive and the other is ISO and International Standards Org.

Such is life on the slippery slope :-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks Ned - that is a good comparison chart and might be useful in the shop! Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Ned Simm> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Ned Simmons