Padded Platen Part 2

I may still add a "soft" pad to the platen on a sander, but recently I order new bench top belt grinders. a 1x42 and a 1x30 similar to my Harbor freight one.

Then when ordering some belts for the 1x42 I ran across this. I bought one to see what its like.

Bob La Londe

I may still add a "soft" pad to the platen on a sander, but recently I order new bench top belt grinders. a 1x42 and a 1x30 similar to my Harbor freight one.

Then when ordering some belts for the 1x42 I ran across this. I bought one to see what its like.

Bob La Londe

------------------------------------

Those are reinforced. My orbital sander has a felt backing pad that seems to increase sandpaper tearing when sanding edges and corners.

I like surface conditioning pads on a 2" air sander. 3M sells the stuff as sanding belts:

Jim Wilkins

I've used surface conditioning belts on the HF 1x30 before. I have to help it start the first 50 times or so before it will start on its own. They just don't run very well on most 1" sanders. Some belts I can never get to start and run. They are thick, and they don't bend as well as regular cloth belts. If I ever get around to building a real 2HP or stronger 2x72 I might give surface conditioning belts a try again.

The HF is going to get used to build a two wheel 1x30 when the new belt grinders arrive. One of the holes in the frame is so wallowed I can no longer tighten up the tracking wheel mounting bolt enough to keep it from slopping around.

Anyway I thought this soft belt might flex enough to rough polish an extruded surface.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

...One of the holes in the frame is so wallowed I can no longer tighten up the tracking wheel mounting bolt enough to keep it from slopping around.

I've fixed that problem by finding a rod or drill shank of a diameter that matched the unworn side of the hole and using it to center the hole position under the mill spindle, then boring the area for a more durable bushing.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I may just save the motor and pitch it, but for now I am thinking 1/4 steel plate new frame (with a bushing), and two wheel setup like a bandsaw. Of course if I do that then I didn't really need the 1x42 I ordered. LOL.

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned, the last time I fixed it the casting broke shortly after and the table fell off. I've been using it like that, and I actually like it a bit better. I should have pitched the table years ago. I never use it anyway. I pretty much free hand anything on the bench grinders or bench top belt grinders.

I only use fixturing on the D-bit grinder, and surface grinder. I guess I kept the table "just in case."

Reply to
Bob La Londe