Paper shredders for the office

02:01:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    In that case, say "fine - and I shall tell random strangers that your company sucks. See if I care."
--
pyotr filipivich
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I do tell people why I won't deal with any business that is run by morons.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
04:41:19 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I recall a cartoon series, where the Professor was explaining "negative ratings" "That is when people call random strangers to tell them not to watch the show."
    Which reminds me, I should call up the one tire co, and tell them why I took my business elsewhere. I don't mind "slow", I do mind "ignore the guy parked in front of the bay." Doesn't take much a simple "I'll be right with you, sir." will suffice.     But if they didn't want to acknowledge my presence, it wasn't like I was being rude by leaving, nicht wahr?
--
pyotr filipivich
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I stood at a Popeye's Fried Chicken counter for about 10 minutes with employees scurrying around avoiding eye-contact. I noticed the guy behind me had given up so I did too. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that same day and tried the drive-thru on my way home from work. Parked in front of the speaker was an older compact car, driver's door open, no driver. After looking around, I honked. Some guy came out the back door retrieved something from the car, went back inside. So I left again. Later on, I decided the company should know about this situation, so I got on the corporate website and found the contacts page, clicked on "email us". Up pops a form that wants to know everything but my bank account number. No thanks. No more Popeye's Fried Chicken for me.
RBnDFW wrote:

I stood for about 15 minutes at a local Arby's, with a dozen employees running around. ignoring me I'm diabetic, and was getting light headed so I didn't have time to keep waiting. I went down the street to another fast food place and hd my food in under two minutes.
A week or two later I stopped at a different Arby's and got great service. They had a new manager who introduced himself. I asked if the other restaurant was owned by the same franchisee, then told him about how bad it was run. He called his boss to report the problem. After that, they had a lot of new faces behind the counter. :)
You've got diabetes, and you don't have food in the car with you every day of the week? So you take your lightheaded dizzy, and go out and drive the car again?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't drive every day. Usually only once or twice a week, and only long enough to get groceries or see a doctor. Sometimes I don't leave the house for weeks at a time.
I was stuck somewhere for four hours longer than I was supposed to be. (So much for setting an appointment) I had already used the snack I had with me. The other restaurant was a half block away and I figured I had about 10 to 15 minutes to get something to eat, or pass out.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Sounds like a learning moment. Since you can be caught out longer than you think .... needs more supplies than you've been packing along?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How much is enough? One time in ten years I ran short, but there were about 75 restaurants within reasonable distance. My legs start to give out about a half hour before I am in trouble. I spent 15 of those waiting and being ignored. I went somewhere else, and had food within three minutes of leaving.
I keep at least one month's worth of food at the house since I've been stranded at home for several weeks, at times.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Do it. If people don't complain, they think their flunkies are doing ther job. :(

Hit all the Salvation Army, St. Vincent D' Paul and all the local thrift stores.
In California anyways..shredders are regularly found. And one can simply put a shredder on a piece of plywood and put it on a 55 gallon drum if necessary
Gunner

I have this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16846101017

    Well ... we had several "Intimus 007" shredders at work back about fifteen years ago (one per building). Probably around 40" high or so, with an interlock on the Plexiglass safety cover. Cut about 1/32" wide by about 3/16" long (most likely actually metric dimensions, as I seem to remember it being made in Germany. Three phase power, a big wire basket in the bottom with a very big plastic bag lining it.
    It shredded a lot of material rather quickly -- at least until someone put a binder clip on the shelf and it vibrated into the shred area and it stopped with a bang which was heard all around the building. When I got there, I found one very embarrassed secretary. :-)
    I opened it up, and discovered that not only did it break the double roller chain which went from motor to cutter bars, but also broke the base on which the parts were mounted. (And of course several cutter discs were beyond help.)
    However -- they were quite expensive. It took quite a while to get a replacement budgeted, so lots of trips to other buildings to shred documents.

    A later model of this appears here:
        <http://www.jtfbus.com/jtf/item.cfm?idY12
It appears to have the shredding head separate from the enclosure, runs from 120 VAC single phase (with a 240 VAC version available), and sells for $6375.00 at this places's sale price.
    Apparently some of the console types are available on eBay, some currently showing for well under $1000.00.
    Good Luck,         DoN.

I use an old GBC shredder. It has a nylon drive gear on a 7/16" hex shaft that used to slip badly until I replaced the hub with a piece of a cheap bicycle type wrench. It only handles about three sheets at a time but a few years back, I set it up over a garbage bag stand and produced 17 leaf bags of shredded paper. Like you, I shred everything, even flyers, and set out a leaf bag every couple months. If someone wants to re-assemble anything out of my recyclable paper I wish them lots of luck - I know it can be done, but the return would be negligible. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

    I use shredded documents for fire starter. Works well enough.

--
pyotr filipivich

Too bad berlers cain't accommodate garbage. Heh, but *fireplaces* can!
--
EA

> Thank You,

Chop out/off the bottom of the bin, and set it on a bigger bin/trash can/chute. If the design of the one you buy for its shredding abilities (pay attention to duty cycles - some are laughable) requires chopping the bottom of the machine as well as the bin, so be it.
Then if you really want to make it impossible to recover data, add some manure, food scraps, etc. and put it on the garden.
I'm happy with the one I presently use, but it's not up to the sort of use you're putting yours to, and no longer available anyway.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:55:28 -0400, Ecnerwal

That's the best idea yet. It never occurred to me to compost sensitive papers. Now if I could just be sure the raccoons haven't learned about identity theft. <g>
--
Ned Simmons

    With those masks ... what are they trying to conceal?
--
pyotr filipivich
Wish I'd read this before typing my reply.