Parts tumbler

I got a couple of motors, one from an electric ice cream maker, the other from a barbecue spindle, that would work perfectly as a drive motor for a parts tumbler. They must have some gear reduction in there, because the drive gear turns slowly. I figure I can use a five gallon pail as the tumbler. Just make two parallel rods with casters on it, one of them being a drive rod.

Has anyone made one of these? What do you use as a medium? I have hillsides of blowsand, perhaps mix some ball bearings in with it? Plug it in, let it run overnight?

Reply to
Steve B

It is straightforward to make, but somewhat time consuming. Parts may not tumble well in a round plastic bucket. They could be sliding instead of tumbling. Some people use used tires as tumbling containers.

I have a Diamond Pacific 40T tumbler:

I bought it at a liquidation auction for $100. The place was kind of scary, a factory that was closed for so long, that tall weeds were growing in its asphalt parking lot.

I also have an older industrial tumbler for sale, 1/3 HP IIRC.

Ignoramus12838

I'm considering making two 55 gallon plastic barrel ones. One for tumbling big or long pieces, and the other for just tumbling garden soil mixes for potting plants. With all the free motors, having a welder, and the low costs on most of this stuff, you can't go wrong.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

Buy some tumbing media, bolt in a few "ribs" the length of the bucket so things can't slide.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I personally prefer vibratory "tumblers" and they are quite easy to make..if you can find a round bottomed "bowl"...that is the hard part.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed. Making a big one is nearly as easy as a small one.

The 45 degree tumblers may be a design that you could do easily for large drums

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Or pick this up in SCruz:

Or this in San Jo:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

So cool! One doesn't have a picture, and the other is expired. Thanks. A lot.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Useful on the east coast only:
Yerwelcome.

:)

-Winston

Reply to
Winston

That one looks interesting.

Gunner, who is pondering his ability to concrete his shop.