Parting off vs bandsaw

One time I tried to cut an aluminum 2" diam bar off in a radial arm saw. I did it many times before, but always clamped it against the fence. This time I did not. It basically did what the bandsaw did to this fellow, and rolled my hand around so fast I could not react. The end result was I re-shortened an already amputated finger another

1/4". If that finger wasn't already missing it would have been that day. I'm with you , clamp roundstock before cutting unless using a torch! Visit my website:
expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Reply to
Roy

yuck. Good to hear he got it reattached though... Does it work as well now as it did before? And once again, yuck. :P

chem

Reply to
chem

I guess a lot of it comes down to how it should feel, look and sound, eh? My instructor always says things like, "Well, when you write your tests you'll have to know this formula, but when you're actually on the machine you'll get to know just by how it looks, feels and sounds whether you've got the right feed rate or whatever". Don't know why all the tests are written instead of practical then. Oh well. :)

Reply to
chem

Nice ascii art! This, however, is a little more impressive ->

I am not a machinist, just a student in a pre-apprentice machining course. Any advice, opinions, etc, are taken from my very limited knowledge base and should be treated accordingly.

->

-> take out the trash to reply by email

-> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

chem

So does that mean you'd have to run the lathe backwards? Speaking of which, what other things would you run the lathe backwards for?

chem

Reply to
chem

Are class project plans like that generally public domain? I can't imagine there being a booming business in selling plans for dinky little projects to community colleges. Anyway, could you forward the contact info for the instructor to me? That sounds like a cool project. :)

chem

Reply to
chem

I sometimes run the lathe in reverse when reworking conical spotwelding tips so I can have the compound handle more toward me than away from me, to reduce having to reach over so far to turn it.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Yes, unless you have a toolpost mounted on the backside, as is commonly done with manual turret lathes, for example. Also, when cutting internal threads you may want to setup to feed out of the work rather than inward. Depending on left or right hand, and orientation of the tool, you may be using reverse spindle direction. Less stressful feeding the tool to air instead of a shoulder.

mj

Reply to
michael

Threading from a shoulder. I mount my threading tool behind the work piece right side up and run the lathe in reverse. I don't have a threaded spindle so I needen't worry about the chuck coming undone. This way the threading tool simply runs off the end of the work and I don't have to worry about crashing into a shoulder or the thread start.

Do a Google for a post by Harold Vordos re "drunken thread". If you are offsetting your compound 29-1/2 degrees (as most folk do), you need to get it the right way to avoid variations in pitch.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I saw a machinist turning some brass parts, starting at about three inch dia and finish at about one inch dia by approx. three inches long.

Quantity was 48??? Anyway, he ran the lathe backwards, mounted the tool upside down, and about 90 percent of the chips were thrown into a container in front of the machine. Clean chips, very little cleanup, etc.

Lurker

chem wrote:

Reply to
lurker