Ping Don Foreman: ICD Alert

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:57:36 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

First stop like that? Probably 30% more, once you get over the shock of WFO continuing after the foot is on the OTHER pedal. (Don uses the tamer term for WFO ;)

Our feet are more in tune with any possible glitches and changes in throttle pressure, or variations thereof. The foot/mind/habit connection is strong and we notice a change right away. Well, those of us who are awake and aware enough to notice, anyway. (That includes most folks here. Dunno 'bout the libs. )

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:09:16 -0600, the infamous Frnak McKenney scrawled the following:

Without overrevving the engine? What, was the throttle stuck at a scary 05% open? CONgress would call that a runaway condition, I'm sure.

That blows the hell out of the "runaway" concept, doesn't it?

I was stunned one day when I had reached down to feel the floor outlet to see if the heater vent was working in my '90 F-150. I was doing about 30mph after leaving my driveway and as my hand came back up to the steering wheel, it hit the shifter and knocked it into reverse. In about 2 seconds, I sat on the road in complete silence in a non-moving truck. It had actually gone into reverse and stalled the engine, stopping the truck. That blew me away. I had no idea that an auto trans would allow that today, with all the other nanny crap we're "protected" by.

I got really lucky that day and the tranny was still in one piece after my stupid little episode.

I'll have to ask Toyota if that could happen in the Tundra, though I doubt I'll ever accidentally hit the shifter again.

And why don't people run the logic of the situation and remember that the key which starts the engine can also turn it off, IMMEDIATELY? (Prius not included)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wonder if you could shoot one in a paintball gun? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My 2001 Saturn will not go into an opposite gear until it feels like it. Also, in reverse, the engine is governed low. That refusal to change direction sucks if you just spun out on an icy road and need to go the other way to get out of on coming traffic. Sitting there forcing your self to just let it idle for a moment is hard to do.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

careful and

text -

Really?

One would assume that a California Hiway Patrol officer would know how to apply brakes...right?

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch