Power Steering Pump as a Hydraulic Pump?

I don't know either but most air tools are vane motors.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

True. But a vane motor and a vane pump are two different animals, I think.

Ron Thompson Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast, Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

If you plan to use a vane pump as a motor make sure your inlet is the pump's usual outlet. For two reasons: vane pumps are designed to use a porion of the high pressure side to hydraulicly push the vanes out against the walls of the housing. If that isn't there the vanes won't pop out to touch the walls. Also, the tips of the vanes are sometines slanted or knife edge. The knife edge will hold pressure just fine in one direction, but allow a lot of blowby in the other direction. So a vane pump can be used, but not as a two-direction motor without some creativity. A gear pump used as as motor will work fine for two directions.

Reply to
B.B.