power supply

Let's look at it again. Karl has a lot of video for entertainment. He likes the idea of it all in one box. I have a lot of video distributed across my network boxes of which none are complex or expensive, they are just old reconditioned PC's from the office. All of my video is on USB drives that sleep until called on. Everything is on power strips with MOV's. I've had to repair the box connected to the TV twice now due to failure to blow the dust out once in a while. I think I have the cheapest best solution.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
yep got 15Tb of movies goes up about 10 gig a week. each one on two hard drives, so 30 Tb needed now.
I move 2000 miles every year. One box easier to take along.
Networking was easy with XP, can't make it work well with W7. Too many security things. Never did get a movie to play over a network. For the same reason, I shy away from RAID. Just not enough of a techy any more.
I do see the downside of this approach. But it seems the best route to me by taking appropriate steps.
Reply to
Karl Townsend
I second that.
The only time I watch most of what I've recorded is to check it for OTA noise before a rerun is scheduled, to see if I need a better copy. The rest of the time those matched backup pairs of USB drives stay safe in the box. The few things I like enough to play again, mainly music performances clipped with the VLC player from PBS, Glee, DWTS etc, are on a convenient portable drive as well. USB2 is fast enough to play back 1080i HDTV.
This should be the Duck Dynasty daughter dancing as Princess Peach, though it won't play on my old XP system.

I've noticed that reruns may be trimmed shorter than the original broadcast. With two backup copies playing side by side they stay solidly in sync during the songs but the rerun drifts ahead of the initial airing between them.
-jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Started playing on my old Ubuntu machine okay. I'll try watching the whole thing later... Saved it and this is what one of my media identifier programs had to say:
=== General Complete name : /home/fnoel/WebFiles/ToRead/Super Mario Dance.mp4 Format : MPEG-4 Format profile : Base Media / Version 2 Codec ID : mp42 File size : 26.8 MiB Duration : 5mn 4s Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 739 Kbps Encoded date : UTC 2014-11-29 06:24:42 Tagged date : UTC 2014-11-29 06:24:42 gsst : 0 gstd : 304088 gssd : B0AFCF2EDHH1426268377335069 gshh : r17---sn-vgqsen7e.googlevideo.com
Video ID : 1 Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Baseline@L3.0 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame Codec ID : avc1 Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding Duration : 5mn 4s Bit rate : 640 Kbps Maximum bit rate : 1 218 Kbps Width : 640 pixels Height : 360 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 30.000 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.093 Stream size : 23.2 MiB (87%) Tagged date : UTC 2014-11-29 06:24:44
Audio ID : 2 Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Format profile : LC Codec ID : 40 Duration : 5mn 4s Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps Maximum bit rate : 101 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 3.48 MiB (13%) Title : IsoMedia File Produced by Google, 5-11-2011 Encoded date : UTC 2014-11-29 06:24:43 Tagged date : UTC 2014-11-29 06:24:44 ===
It was available as a 720p HD video too (360 version details above). My old computer has a hard time keeping up with 720p if at all...
Reply to
Leon Fisk
I use dialup at first in the morning to refresh everything while I'm eating breakfast and watching the news and don't mind the slowness. Later I could play the start of it with Broadband2Go cellular but am trying not to use up the 1 GB/month early with frivolities. I've already burned up a lot on brake flaring tool videos.
I have that dance in 1080i from the original broadcast. I thought it was very clever and it shows how surprisingly talented Sadie Robertson is, though it didn't win her the prize.
This 1.6 GHz Pentium M is maxed out playing recorded TV. The 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo in the DVR laptop can record or play two 1080i programs simultaneously.
-jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
A thumb drive should be able to take all that that you have and play it on your touch screen phone anytime. If you have trouble, your phone's help desk should help you. I doubt you'd be charged minutes for any of it.
(though for best results, its always best to have your phone wired to a desktop wired to a server and then mainframe)
Reply to
mogulah
I think it's more likely to degrade to rolling blackouts as in the Third World.

We can't install new overhead transmission lines because they are unsightly and decrease property values, or bury electric or gas lines because blasting will harm wells.

Jim Wilkins
We haven't had a terrorist take a shot at our grid yet. Just wait. It's not going to be simple, and it will surely be a helluva lot worse than a rolling black or brownout. Got PREP?
So the fix is: modular nuclear power! Or fusion, whenever.
They have a pipeline planned here in Oregon, too.
With the advent of the super ground-hungry tunnel boring machines, why aren't they burying transmission lines and pipelines yet, I wonder?
With Keystone, I can't imagine how it could be a good thing to put all that oil, under high pressure, directly -over- 60%(?) of the nation's fresh water sources.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
Putting them a few (or a few tens) of feet below the surface won't affect that, and might make it harder to detect and fix any leaks.
Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
As far as Keystone goes, I am absolutely against it. It's not our oil and it's not being sold to us, so why endanger our fresh water for it?
Reply to
Larry Jaques
The Canadian oil is going to be produced regardless of whether a pipeline is built or not. If no pipeline is built it will be transported to Vancouv er, Canada and shipped on Tankers from there. Shipping by rail car is more dangerous and costly than shipping by pipeline.
If the keystone pipeline is built, some of the money will come to the U.S. as fees for using the pipeline. And more of the money will come to the U.S . as the refining will be done in the U.S. In addition the refined oil cou ld be sent by pipeline to the East Coast. So even if the refined oil is sh ipped over seas by tanker, it will mean that the costs of gasoline and heat ing oil will be slightly less in the U.S.
Not building the Keystone Pipeline will not mean that the oil will not be u sed and will not keep the CO2 out of the atmosphere.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster

might help
Reply to
phorbin
I meant that crossing rivers with pipelines is simply a dumbass thing to do, ever. Well, unless one doesn't care about humanity, and is looking to pare the population down. (I don't doubt that about the politicians of today.)
Reply to
Larry Jaques
My usual reaction is "if those are the best parts I'm not paying to watch the rest".
-jsw, once a techie on a film crew.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I also like to watch how an actor matures over the years. Like a Sean Connery with a bit part in Longest day, or Harrison Ford small part in Apocalypse Now, many others. I know I've watched every Clint Eastwood a dozen times, pretty much the same with John Wayne. Many many others too.
I don't sleep at night, watch three movies a night most every day.
karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
After Leonard Nimoy died MeTV ran Mission Impossible, Twilight Zone, Get Smart etc episodes he'd been in. I was more impressed with him as Spock than any of the others, including recently as William Bell on Fringe.
I talked to him backstage after his one-man stage play based on Vincent Van Gogh's letters, which I'd read, and managed to discuss his other work without ever mentioning Star Trek.
Somehow his presence in Boston hadn't been noticed by Trekkies, my GF and I were his only visitors that day.
-jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Nimoy was also in one episode of the "The Man from UNCLE" in a minor role as a henchman. The guest star of that episode was Shatner.
David
Reply to
David R. Birch

Steve W.
I just backed up and checked that recording a minute ago. The villain was Werner Klemperer (Col. Klink).
-jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Yeah, the preview of the hoarse scream under the waterfall (by Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans) nearly kept me from watching what turned out to be a very good movie.
Status!
Reply to
Larry Jaques