Project help

Hello. I am trying to create this:

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes? Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards, Amy

Reply to
amy

Get a piece of old garden hose and cut a slit in it length wise to hold bobbins.

Reply to
RLM

First - what sizes are your bobbins (diameter)? Unless they are much smaller than I think, your tubing will be much too small. For instance, my wife's bobbins are 13/16" diameter. Your 1/4" tubing would not come close to holding them.

A somewhat different approach might be easier. If you cut pieces of tubing long enough to hold *one* bobbin and a tubing size that with a single slit it would open enough, you would have something like this:

bobbin is 13/16" diameter and the tubing 9/16" *inside* diameter.

If you still wanted a single length, with a permanent opening, the ID of the tubing would be somewhat less than the bobbin's diam, so that the tubing would grab it. Then the strip removed would be enough to allow the bobbin in & out readily, just so it's less than 1/2 the circumference. E.g., for a 13/16 bobbin, I would use 3/4" ID tubing, with a 1/2 - 3/4" strip removed.

It does depend upon the tubing material and its thickness (wall size). Some experimentation is in order.

HTH, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Reply to
JR North

Lowes also sells various sizes of vinyl tubing - pick & choose to suit. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

With more information a calculation might be made. It can be complex in life.

I suggest making test cuts and see experimentally. That is faster and true. Martin

Mart> Hello. I am trying to create this:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thank you all for your replies.

RLM--I am not going to use the piece to hold bobbins. I just wanted an understanding of how to determine the width of the slit and still have it grip. As it turns out, a piece of garden hose will be too large.

Bob Engelhardt--Thank you for the detailed explanation. This will help me figure out what I need.

JR North--I tried to search for such an item.. Do you happen to know more about it or what it's called?

Ken Sterling--I haven't tried Lowe's, but I have tried my local Home Depot. They don't have the tubing I need.

Martin H. Eastburn--I will make test cuts to experiment. For now, I have a limited amount of tubing, so I thought if I could narrow down the number of test cuts to do, it will help.

Again, thank you for your responses. I appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

Amy

Reply to
amy