Q: Replacing Bandsaw Footbrake Lining

Hi all,

I'm reconditioning a Centauro 20" woodworking bandsaw. The saw has a foot operated brake for stopping the driven wheel. When I disassembled the bottom wheel, the brake pad on the foot brake was worn completely down to metal and needs to be replaced. This is a specialty item on an ancient bandsaw so the part will not be available locally.

I am assuming I can replace the pad with a lining material available from an auto parts supplier. What is the best method to attach the new lining to the pad (epoxy)? Will lining material be able to be formed to an arc to match the drum circumference?

Thanks for any help.

- Rob

Reply to
Rob

For what its worth..fire hose canvas works pretty good for brake material for things like this.

Gunner

Gunner

Also, regular, good old fashioned cork. Vacuum bottle cork. Wine bottle cork.

Gunner

Gunner

Try a piece of saddle leather glued on with Gorilla glue. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Check your local area for a company that specializes in brakes/clutches and the like. Around here, (Oregon), there is "Friction Materials", "Ott's", and a couple more. They will have the material, and correct means of attachment.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs

A few years back my Ford 9N needed new brake shoes. The way they work is the lining is riveted to the shoe. The linings were curved when I took them out of the box but not curved as much as the shoe. The lining was easily curved more by hand when pressed against the shoe. I bet that a good auto parts store would have these types of linings available and you could either rivet or epoxy them. I'd do both. Use the rivets to clamp the lining to shoe in your bandsaw. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow