Question for Gunner

Gunner,

OK, I've been reading and hearing all of the Left Wing/Right Wing stuff for years, so tell me, what am I? No, this is not a joke. I tried some website awhile back that was supposed to tell you what political type you were, didn't make any sense to me. I am hoping with the info I include here you can tell me where I stand. Here goes; I am pro gun, anti abortion, pro capital/corporal punishment, kinda on the fence about all of the legal/illegal immigrants around and getting pretty tired of all of the new laws that don't seem to do a damn bit of good. If this is not enough info let me know, I'll come up with some more stuff.

Thanks, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

punishment,

You're not 100% one way or the other, just like most people. Gunner is not most people.

Lane

Reply to
lane

Sound Conservative to me. Which by definition could be Right Wing. Right Wing also includes ( possibly incorrectly) Libertarian

Now..as to how far right you are..or how libertarian you are...

Try this 6 page (5 minutes) test

I score: Economic Left/Right: 4.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

This means I am very libertarian on social/economic issues but do believe that only some government is necessary.

Then this 1 minute short one

I score "libertarian"

Take the tests and we can discuss what/why and what it all means.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Nomination for understatement of the day.

Ooops, make that, month. Heck, we're only just in Feb yet, make that for the year!!

Jim

jim rozen

Entertaining, albeit somewhat simplistic test. I score: Economic Left/Right: -4.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

What is this? I am even more libertarian than you are?!?

At least I am in good company. Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama.

I score, surprise surprise, "left liberal". I like the definition that site gives for left liberal:

Left-Liberals prefer self-government in personal matters and central decision-making on economics. They want government to serve the disadvantaged in the name of fairness. Leftists tolerate social diversity, but work for economic equality.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Thanks, Gunner! That was fun and interesting, although it's hard to say how accurate it is.

I scored -0.12/-3.23. Interesting that not a single notable figure appears near my location on their compass.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Very interesting test.

I score:

Economic Left/Right: -1.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.41

Close to the middle, which is sort of where I thought I was.

Lane

Reply to
lane

See also:

Tom Del Rosso

Uh oh, this things f%cked up. It scores me in there with the Dali Lama.

Now what's *that* all about??

Jim

jim rozen

It means you are a Liberal Airhead with delusions of Godhood.

Actually...its pretty accurate.

Sometimes its very interesting to watch the reactions of the Democrats who call themselves liberal...and sometimes actually come out on the Libertarian spectrum.

Way too often a person identifies with a political party, rather than the agenda that that party promotes.

Ive got an aquaintence ...a peace love joy type. Thinks there out to be laws for everything, but is all freedom and do your own thing, even if the State has the power to force you to....

She took the test and came out on the Totalitarian/Stalin spectrum. She was insulted, claimed the test was wrong..and to this day refuses to even acknowledge that she is a totalitarian.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Economic Left/Right: 2.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

There was one question that I wasn't sure of their meaning. Something about students should be forced to attend class. Hmmm. The age makes a difference to me. I agreed but they didn't specify if the alternative was home schooling or just no school. If that had been made clear I would have strongly disagreed. Am I making sense? Sigh. I so often don't.

Me, too. Sue

"loyalty" and "duty."

may possibly

Reply to
Sue

Is that why I'm an agonstic? I must be thinking, the position's already filled. Heh.

Jim

jim rozen

ag·ons·tic PRONUNCIATION: g-nstk NOUN: 1a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a Dog.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In article , Spehro Pefhany >Is that why I'm an agonstic?

Well, I *told* you folks I transpose digits. And what are letters, if not just fancier, 26-fold digits....?

Jim (ya got me on this one)

jim rozen

Not too many folks over there in the lower right quadrant.

I noticed that the majority tends to form a diagonal line from lower left (social freedom, economic control) to the upper right (economic freedom, social control). I find both of those extremes somewhat inconsistent - how can a person say they want complete government control of the economy yet no government control of anything else (lower left) or complete economic freedom but no social freedom (upper right). At least the dictators in the upper left are honest about wanting to control everything. Meanwhile, the lower right corner wants complete freedom. A good place to be!

I suspect the lack of politicians in that quadrant is because freedom scares them. Most politicans are in it for the power. The far left ones want power over the economy, the far right ones want power over society.

I score: Economic Left/Right: -0.62 (just slightly left of center) Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62 (moderate to strong libertarian)

I am libertarian in that I want government to stay out of the lives of individuals. I'd like to stand with gunner in the lower right. However, I don't consider businesses/corporations to be individuals, and feel some regulation is a neccessary evil. So that shifts me just a little left of center.

Large corporations in particular have 1) more money and more power than individuals, and 2) a weak sense of right and wrong, since a large organization (like a large mob) suffers from a dilution of personal responsibility. ("I know this is wrond, but I'm only doing what the stockholders want.")

As a result some corporations do things that most individuals either wouldn't do for ethical reasons, or can't do because they lack the wealth and power.

The sheer size of large corporations means their "bad" acts can affect far more people than the bad acts of individuals (or small businesses). So although I don't like restrictions on freedom, curtailing the "freedom" of large corporations is in the public interest. Restricting the freedom of individuals is not.

I don't limit my mistrust to corporations - any person or group with much power and little conscience can do serious damage. That includes labor unions that have outlived their original (and real) usefullness. It also includes some organized religions, many politicans, and of course the government itself.

John Kasunich

Reply to
John Kasunich

Yup..the Dahli has several years headstart on the Godhood business, and better press

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Here?

Cross posted to 4 or 5 other groups?

Oh no! Here we go again! :>)

Reply to
Jack Erbes

A city wide blackout at Thu, 05 Feb 2004 05:28:18 GMT did not prevent Sue from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

This is the problem of all surveys: working and understanding. "Should children be forced to go to school?" Forced by whom? Mom & Dad, or the Government? Just because a democratic Republic has a vested interest in an educated citizenry, doesn't grant it jurisdiction or a monopoly. Children need to be "forced" to get some schooling, there is a lot of life which is not 'natural" and must be learned. Arabic Numerals, written language, grammar, and the like. Gotta be learned, but that doesn't mean it _has_ to be done at a Government School, or a government approved school.

There needs to be room to "fail." That didn't work, now you get the rewards of bad decision making. And yes, there are times when "bad luck" is the real reason for the failure, which is not the same thing. Or too put it another way, when the government leadership makes choices which are not wise, the whole nation suffers the consequences. E.g., any country which started a war it lost. OTOH, some nations didn't get a choice, which is another subject entirely. As a Danish friend put it, we voted for a King some centuries ago, and we haven't been asked about it since.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Actually Jack, I didnt crosspost this.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Yeah, I know, I can read. It was an attempt at humor.

Reply to
Jack Erbes