raw beginner

I am interested in making some frames for a project around the house, ideally out of metal with about the same shape and consistency of a wire coat hanger. I need to shape it and fuse it with a torsional spring. The problem is I have zero experience with welding. I have looked at Amazon etc. for introductory books but none really seem to fit the bill. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me with two questions: 1. Is this type of project something that would be easiest to achieve via welding or would you suggest a different method; and 2. Do you have any introductory welding books to suggest.

Thanks- DF

Reply to
Daniel A. Frankel

(Snip)

If you do decide to weld, please consider your local colleges welding class. You will learn lots of great stuff to save a lot more time than the class 'costs'. Many of these things will be safety related.

I and a buddy attended our local JC metalworking class. It was very inexpensive and one of the most fun times I've had. (Got an 'A'!)

I use techniques learned in that class nearly every day now. Don't discount the value of participating in an *interesting* educational experience!

All my best

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You probably don't want to weld in this case. Use a silver-bearing soft solder to connect wire like that to a spring, in an application such as this.

No open flames required. Get a book from the library that discusses soldering.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

JB Weld Epoxy works wonders, safe, effective and inexpensive. Available at most hardware stores.

Douglas R. Probst

Do you mean fuse coathanger-type wire TO an existing spring? Any heat-fusing process such as welding, brazing, or soldering will take the temper out of the spring--maybe 60/40 electrical solder wouldn't.

If I were joining wire or rod of this general size but without the consideration of the spring, I'd use 1/16th inch brazing rod, cut in a little loop over the joint, with a little borax flux paste applied. Heat gently with a propane torch until the flux melts, then crank up the flame. As soon as the brazing rod melts and flows into the joint, withdraw the flame. It makes a big difference to clean the joint ends with sandpaper and degrease with acetone or lacquer thinner.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken G.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:35:47 -0700, Winston calmly ranted:

It used to be cheap in CA, but here in OR, the local college gives Technology of Industrial Welding I course at 6 credits. At $59/credit, that costs $354 + a $24 technology fee + a $50 college services fee. Total: $428 for each of 6 classes (courses I-VI) not including the codes/procedures/costs, fabrication & repair, or blueprint reading classes. It could, conceivably, get a tad expensive. ;)

I think classes were $13/credit in CA and it cost $44 the last time I went (Novell Netware Admin), including books and the parking pass.

Yes, going back to school can be a lot of fun...now that we are taking classes we LIKE.

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques furrowed his brow and advised:

(Snip)

Yeowch! The local adult Ed center offers a one-semester class in oxyacetylene, stick, MIG and TIG for $300 including materials. Gotta bring your own helmet though.

Yup. I vaguely remember a ridiculously low price. The materials fee was $3 (Three bucks) for the machining class.

(Snip)

Amen. A totally different experience.

--Winston

Reply to