Rebuilding NICAD Battery Packs

and again, maybe third time lucky!

reposted, orig> I recently replaced one of the two dead Ryobi 14.4v batt packs which

I've never _re_built packs, but I have soldered them together.

The best way I know is to use a hot hammerhead iron - that's a soldering iron with a bit with two working ends, so you heat both cells at once.

The bit is about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch diameter, and looks like this:

| iron | || | ___||___ | _/ \_ | |_ bit _| | \________/ |

I have turned a few from copper, it's not hard - unfortunately I don't have any now, and I can't get back to the shop before mid-Jan (long holidays!).

You really need at least a 40 watt iron, although it can be done with a smaller one. Wait for it to get hot

People who make up a lot of packs tend to put the cells in the fridge before soldering, use 60/40 tin/lead solder rather than the leadfree type (naughty, but then the cells are full of cadmium ...), and make up a frame so the cells slide easily into the right position. You heat up the ends of two cells at once, make sure they are wet with solder, remove the iron and quickly slide one cell to meet the other.

Then cover with heatshrink for mechanical strength.

Never had a problem once I figured out how to do it - and you could of course practice with the hootered cells first.

It might be worth while googling "hammerhead soldering cell" , some good links there.

Below is a post I wrote in answer to a similar question, not an immediate answer but should have some relevant tips.

However, Tim's point about reversal during discharge sounds relevant. I've always been a good boy and never tried mixing cells tho'. Perhaps you could try to find the set of cells whose capacities match best.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Larry

Try a little Stay-Clean (a Harris proiduct) as the flux next time you want to soft solder stainless. It makes soft soldering stainless easy.

I have been successfull with soldering tabs on all the "good quality" batteries I've worked with. I have ruined some "import/low cost" cells by overheating them with the soldering iron.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:49:31 +0000, Peter Fairbrother vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

We have seen all 3 posts, or I have.

Reply to
Old Nick

If they are stainless, I havent had a problem getting the solder to stick.I was using a weller soldering gun (140 watts I think) with some thick copper wire as the tip. Some of the cells have exhibited rust when left to the elements.I usualy hit the area to be soldered with a coarse sandpaper, and use a "nokorode" soldering flux- cleaning the flux off afterwards. I try to peel the solder tabs off the dead cells with some needle nose pliers. Usually successful. I tried to solder the cells directly without the solder tabs but found that if you drop the pack : ( then the solder joint breaks- I guess since there isn't any flex in the solder.The whole idea of tossing something in the waste stream just because it isn't a hunnert % any longer, old or cheap just doesn't cut it with me. There's always more things to spend money on than there is money...(plastic non withstanding) Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Soldering works fine if you use a hot iron (at least

20w) and complete the joint in no more than two or three seconds. Use 60-40 lead/tin solder and an active flux - Bakers soldering fluid or similar killed acid type flux so that you get immediate solder wetting.

Use the solder connection for electrical continuity only.For mechanical retention use epoxy resin assisted as appropriate by duct tape or shrink wrap.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:49:31 +0000, Peter Fairbrother calmly ranted:

Triple-posted.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I see anumber of suggestions about soldering cells together directly. IMO, this is a very bad idea. I've never ssen a comercial pack done this way. If successful at all, any vibration or mechanical stress would almost certainly either cause the connection to fail or damage the top of the cell.

If you are going to try soldering, use bit of copper braid, preferably pre-tinned such as a bit of the shield braid off a piece of coax. Cut off a length about equal to a cell diameter, tin the very ends and bend in the middle to form a broad V. Tin the cell ends in a small area. Work quickly with a hot iron. solder one end of the braid to the positive end of one cell. Slip a plastic insulating disc over the braid to prevent shorts. Solder the other end of the braid to the other cell's negative then fold to make a compact joint.

And, yes, I do plan to build me a capacitor discharge spot welder but I won't give out the circuit 'til I've designed, built and tried it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:08:07 GMT, Ted Edwards calmly ranted:

Good point there, Ted.

Used desoldering wick works well for that. BTDT, fixed the Bose 501 woofer carbon leads that way twice in the last decade and a half.

OK, I'll give you until (how does next Wednesday sound?) to do that. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques