Repair Lincoln Idealarc

On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 11:41:22 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

Several years ago I helped the owner of a TIG welder find why he had no cur rent control. The machine was not a Linco[n , but I expect most welders of that age used the same general idea. The current control in his case was done by a saturable reactor. There was a circuit similar to a light dimme r that varied the current thru the saturable reactor. The SCR was bad. I forget if it was open or shorted. After we had trouble shot the welder, he got a new scr and that fixed the welder. He was not as tight as I am. I think he got the SCR at Radio Shack for about $5.
It sounds as if you have about the same problem. We did have a schematic a nd just used a DMM for measurements. Any kind of a scope would have made f inding it much faster.
I would advertise in Craigslist for someone to fix it. I am thinking of hi gh school kid or someone in college. And if you have no luck with that, I would give it to some kid before letting the scrap man have it.
I would help you but am on the East Coast.
Dan

Spent four hours on it today, and got nowhere. thar's enough. I'm NOT an electrical repairman.
You're right, this was a wonderful welder. I've had it 25 years.
Thanks for trying to help the helpless.
karl
On Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 3:07:42 PM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl, I am surprised at you. You own a welder for 25 years and say it was a wonderful welder. And then you say you are only looking at Blue Machines.
Dan

Lincoln made one hell of a good welder 40 years ago.
their managment discovered China and cheap manufacturing and ran the name into the ground. DAMN shame but not an uncommon story.
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 9:46:30 PM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

Just be cautious about buying a Miller Econotig. The current ones may be b etter , but the older ones are not too good. When I was shopping for a Tig welder, the manager of the welding store I frequented told me to avoid the Econotig. His store was a Miller dealership.
Dan
On Tue, 26 May 2015 20:46:20 -0500, Karl Townsend

But your Linc was made when Linc and Miller led the field by a mile.
On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:07:39 -0500, Karl Townsend

Well, don't scrap it yet. It ain't like you don't have room at your place for a busted machine. We can have a look at it some gunsmoke and good grub get-together day.
Think you or Jacob might have any ideas about my oil-slingin' lathe spindle?
SAVED
There's an auction with a dozen great welders in three weeks. Big commercial stuff, all blue boxes. I'll be ging home with one.
Now, got to live three weeks without a welder. Hard for me.
Karl
On Thu, 28 May 2015 12:24:16 -0500

Oh come now, you've already admitted to having a nice MIG machine ;-)
I guess it has a lot to do with what we are most comfortable with using. I feel/do best with the MIG but the stick welder is a lot easier to dig out and fire up...
Just remembered that Jody put up a couple TIG videos in the past few weeks than may interest you. They are on using helium gas and how they can make a weak TIG machine weld heavier aluminum pieces than using just argon. Maybe you already know this... but if you want to watch:
TIG Welding Thick Aluminum using DC and Helium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
dCZyH_NBI
Tig Welding Aluminum with Argon Helium Mix part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDvRJ7HZ6E

Tig Welding Aluminum with Ar/He Mix part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJy7SbtH6s

Good luck with your bidding and let us know what you end up with.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

A tiny violin is being played for you, Karl. Pobrecito! <g>
--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Ya wanna come get my DialArc 250 for 3 weeks? You'd owe me and Vicki, but offer's on the table. I can get by without TIG for 3 weeks. I still have MIG and gas.
Hell, I always have gas -- Vicki will vouch for that!
I'm not kidding, Karl; if you wanna borrow my DialArc 250 for three weeks or so, come 'n get it. You're about the only guy I'd trust with it -- like you trusted me to put hands on your beloved Monarch 10EE.