Repair Lincoln Idealarc

On Sun, 24 May 2015 10:41:18 -0500

Have to sign up to see images...
Need the code number to get the right manual. There are several that might be what you need. They aren't the best though...
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im192.pdf
Probably one of these, from oldest to newer. I stopped at the one you already looked at.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im224.pdf http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im228.pdf http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im236.pdf http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im243.pdf http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im265.pdf
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks for trying. I just got pissed off at it and gave up. HATE electrical repair - can't do it.
Karl
On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:15:30 -0500

Have you used this machine since the lightning strike last summer and it worked okay?
You probably don't unplug it and some of the electronics in it could easily be damaged by a good lightning hit. I remember you telling about the lightning hit and several items it messed up. Don't remember if you turned any of it in on your insurance though, which is why I'm mentioning it.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

actually, I have to unplug it. There's a serious humm when turned off and plugged in.
I'm going to have to take the unit in for repair <GULP> I had no idea how expensive new welders that will do TIG and 300 amp are. My worry, and I've seen this happen, I get a call a few days later saying sorry can't fix your machine, the bill is $1000. BUT if you buy our new box for too much $ we'll forget about the repair bill.
Karl
buy one at auction

On Tue, 26 May 2015 06:52:31 -0500, Ignoramus24841
I'm trying. trouble is, a week is a long time without a welder.
On Tue, 26 May 2015 05:41:47 -0500, Karl Townsend

And you go to pick up the old box and find that none of the cover screws have been tampered with, so you throw the bill in their face and walk out with it. BTDT with friends' equipment before.
--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

I'm only looking at blue boxes.
Karl

I bet that your welder would still keep running, if it was blue.
Karl Townsend wrote:

You might want to consider the Everlast . Mine has performed extremely well for the nearly 2 years I've had it . And it was less than half the cost of blue or red .
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote:

I think if I was buying a new machine but wanted to save some money it would be one of the Lincoln MP units. They are a programmable unit that does MIG, Flux core, DC TIG and stick all in one box.
Been watching Jody playing with one and so far it seems to be a real nice machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WbwS54B-0

--
Steve W.

A need AC TIG and soon. Got a stack of irrigation pipes in need of repair. A welder would be cheap and easy to find if I didn't need both high power stick and AC TIG
Karl
On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:24:37 -0500
<snip>

I would get one of the inverter TIG machines that would do the aluminum work needed and watch for an old Miller DialArc AC/DC to turn up used. The two machines would back each other up for stick welding at least...
I'd love to have an inverter TIG to play with but I don't really NEED one at this point in time. They cost a bit too much and I think they have a lot of electronic stuff inside that could crap out just sitting around unused... My old Solar (Century, Wards...) 295 amp stick box hasn't got much inside that can fail. And my Millermatic 200 MIG hasn't got a lot of electronic stuff but more than the Solar. It fires up though every time I ask it too even though it pretty much sits around nowadays.
You might be able to use a MIG Gun for your aluminum repair. Can't remember if you got a MIG machine or not. It's nice having backups/choices when one of them acts up...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I have a Miller 252 MIG welder. Wonderful machine. Have an AL spool gun for it. Works well for most AL work but not on irrigation pipe. You can't beat a TIG for weld control. If you are putting a weld-on female end onto a pipe section, you need MAX heat and a wife or son to hold the torch for preheat. Little welders just don't do it.
I'm driving an hour each way to get a couple of these done on my son's welder - Syncrowave 250. he's offered to sell me his for $1800. i may take hime up.
Karl
On Wed, 27 May 2015 15:41:25 -0500, Karl Townsend

If you can't speak, just nod yes to Jacob's synchrowave.
You're need is urgent and related to bidness.
Your tits-up Linc is probably repairable but you don't have time or inclination to mess around like a hobbyist might. That pot probably controls a saturable reactor. Since the pot seems to check good, the problem is probably either with the DC supply (rectifier diodes) for the saturable reactor, or a bad connection. It could be an open winding on the saturable reactor or a bad control transformer, but that'd be unlikely.
The synchrowave is a very capable TIG machine. I don't think I'd trade my dinosaur Miller DialArc 250 for one because, while the newer machines have more bells and whistles, they also have more electronics and that's what usually fails -- and is very expensive to get fixed. I've had a couple of weldors tell me that when the boss changed out their DialArcs for Synchrowaves, they suddenly could no longer weld aluminum tanks without leaks. Just sayin' what I heard. The ol' DialArc is a 400-lb dinosaur, but it's reliable as gravity and does everything I wanna do.
On Wed, 27 May 2015 13:24:37 -0500
<snip>

ESAB has some interesting stuff too. Maybe there Heliarc 281i would suit your fancy. Some discussion about where its made:
==Thank you for your recent information request on the Heliarc 281i. The power supply for the Heliarc 281i is made in Italy. It is then assembled in the USA with additional parts i.e regular and tig torch that are manufactured in the USA as well. If you have any additional questions please let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan A. Braddock Inside Sales Representative Weldcall Technical Support ESAB Welding and Cutting Products Phone: 843-664-4281 Fax:803-753-9266 snipped-for-privacy@esab.com
from:
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?276651-New-ESAB-Heliarc-281i-280A-AC-DC-Tig-stick == ESAB's own website:
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productId 130&tab=1
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Ebay, "Very old unit (complete with dinosaur teeth;), not working, $200 + actual shipping costs". It'll sell in a few days, but you might have to come down to $175.
Ebayers and Craigslisters will buy anything.
--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

I just put it up on craigs list. waiting for the rash of idiot phone calls. Bet I'm sorry before its done.
On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:09:12 -0500, Karl Townsend

Mebbeso.
--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
On Sun, 24 May 2015 14:09:12 -0500, Karl Townsend

Think of it as your contribution to younger, smarter, willing-to-try guys who recognize value in a quality old machine that needs a bit of TLC. Give 'em a bargain, what the hell! It's our time of life to be giving back, right? You won't even notice the nick in your bottom line and it might be good for your karma.
Think how good you'll feel when a deserving young guy or gal hauls it away, grinning, after paying you a pittance for it. It's the right thing to do, Karl. Bless you!