Ridgid

Singer did that. A little known Canadian-based public company, reportedly funded from mainland China investors, bought it (relatively cheaply, considering their globally known brand name and distribution) and used it as a conduit for all sorts of "stuff". They reorganized recently and it's now (as of 1999) incorporated in the Netherlands Antilles.

From their web page:

"Capitalizing on its now famous name, its hire-purchase plan, and its vast network of retail outlets and other distribution points around the world, Singer introduced electronics, appliances, furniture, and other consumer durables, into its product line. Today, Singer is a household name for a wide range of consumer products for the home. "

And from their annual report:

Research and Development Research and development expenses are incurred largely at Singer?s manufacturing facilities in Brazil and China. The amount spent on research and development in the three-month and six-month periods ended June 30, 2003 and 2002 was not material.

Kind of warms the cockles of your heart, don't it?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yep, I did machine work for a company they bought for 27 yrs running. then in 1 yr they sent most on the work to China & closed most of my customers plants.

Reply to
Why

A long standing name in pipe and pipe working tools to me anyway - My bet is over 50 years. Most copied pipe wrench in the world is my bet.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn