Rifle toting robots go into battles in Iraq

Wind Wagon. 8-0 >_<

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Those Bayliner Capri's are pretty neat - for a gas guzzling power boat. :) The 20 has a small cabin forward?

You'll out run me by about 30 - 40 mph or so.

My 5 horse Brigge will bring me up to hull speed in no wind conditions (5.6 knots!)

But I got something like 300 miles per gallon last summer.

Hook up the trailer and come on down to Ray Hubbard.

We'll race!

Reply to
cavelamb himself

That would be the cuddy cabin model, I got the bow rider (open bow) for the wife to enjoy.

Don't know how fast it will go, but I may just find out one day soon?

Of course, the object is to arrive. Enjoyment comes from the trip, not the arrival?

Braggart!!! But at full throttle I won't approach the inverse of that.

That may just be a possibility, next summer.

Can't wait to hear what the handicap will be.

George

Reply to
George

Bayliner is a analog of Harbor Freight in boats/. People "in the know" do not recommend them. Check with rec.boats before your purchase.

Ignoramus21267

Too late Iggy, I all ready bought it, but then I knew their reputation before I bought. I don't see them as quite in the Harbor Freight league, but not too far above it either.

It is my second Bayliner and if you know their deficiencies you can work around them and get some very good service life from them.

After all, what can you expect for a purchase of less than $850.00???

Bayliner makes more powerboats than any other manufacturer in the world, so at least they do know a thing or two about making boats (laying up glass), just that their hardware tends to be a bit "inexpensive."

Thanks anyway. Best to you.

George

Reply to
George

Not bad, George!

Enjoy

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Thanks Richard.

I figured at that price, even if the outboard wouldn't run, I still hadn't lost anything, so long as it floats. It was just too good to pass up.

Just don't know how to step a mast from it though and a spinaker would totally mess up my wifes view from the front

George

Reply to
George

SHADE, George.

Shade...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

LOL.....

OK, now I see.

Reply to
George

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:01:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, George quickly quoth:

Like this (but with no sails up to get in the way?

Larry Jaques

You are on, George.

I pulled in an out-of-gass 20 footer just last week.

I don't think I posted the story here, but it was pretty good.

What I didn't record in the log...

There were 6 people aboard but not a single life preserver. No paddle. No water. No cell phones or radio. No spare gas can. Only one piece of dock line about 12 feet long.

And they had been trying to swim this thing in for several hours.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Uhhh... thanks Larry, but no thanks. Just what is going through the mind of people like that?? That would be, other than splinters of the mast??

errrr....

Me-thinks I will stay with power boating for the time being. One day I will let Richard introduce me to wind power, after I outrun him and then probably run out of gas.

George

Reply to
George

Couldnt find the chute in my boat/sail/stuff locker.

It may be in the Ensenada 20, which is stored out on a friends ranch.

Dont need a chute on the Force-5 in the front yard.

Though a jib and some mast stays would be interesting.....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Master Gunner!

You are a man after my own heart.

I've been trying to figue out a way to hoist squares on Spirit. It's awful hard to do on a single mast.

Squares don't really like to cross through the wind at all. You really need the mizzen to be able to tack. Something to force the stern around properly.

I thought maybe a Laser or Force 5 main for a mizzen?

would be interesting....

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Get a full batten jib off a Hobie 14 or even 16. Lots of them collecting dust on old cats buried in back yards on hulls now to soft to sail.

I stuck a Hobi 16 main on my Thistle (#1308) . Had to reef the foot to fit...but made the FAST Thistle a freaking screamer.

Some of the boys up in the Sacramento delta area are making Thistle Turbos.

Full batten jibs and mains, beefed up mast shrouds and trapeze wires. Plane in 6 knots, scary fast over that.

What boat do you have? Squares in todays tech world?????

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

She's a lovely little Catalina Capri 18. About 1500 pounds empty(!) Fin keel (not a centerboard) with nearly 450 pounds of lead ballast. VERY stiff little boat!

I'm shopping for a coastal cruiser, but this one is quite adequate for day sailing and short (2 or 3 day) cruises.

Yeah, squares! A course (to avoid renaming the main sail) and topsail hung on the main mast (Aluminum! it has metal content!)

with a free standing mizzen mast stepped at the transom. You could call it a topsail schooner, or maybe a brigantine if we could come up with a bowsprit to carry a flying jib.

I've been scratching at it for a year or so.

Everything has to be done from deck level. There is none of the kind of rigging one can climb - and the weight of people aloft would not be good on such a tiny ship!

So...

How to hang the yards, hand and reef the squares, top and brace them around, and get rid of them in a hurry when you need to.

It turns out to be a pretty technical challenge.

What I've figured out so far would take a crew of three or four GOOD hands to sail a boat I solo quite easily. :)

And one might be hard pressed to justify the expense in anything but the most romantic of terms.

But...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

How did the Vikings do it?

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Mostly tehy ROWED...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Fascinating! Thanks, Jim.

I don't think I've ever seen a windward clew pole used before.

That would for sure help make progress into the wind.

You think that's traditional, or somebody with spinnarker experience got tired of rowing?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself