Rifle toting robots go into battles in Iraq

Nah. Just young and dumb. I guess it's a question of what you are commfortable with. I loved to fly (and hey, we could retreat at 150 mph! Sometimes.)

I'm convinced I would not have survived on the ground. Too young and foolish for my age.

It's hard to describe the experience, Gunner.

Best I've ever come up with is like an old west high noon shoot out - with machine guns. We come hovering down main street while the bad guys set up an ambush.

Very sudden (quick draw), very close range, and over in a few seconds.

At least the ones you win.

The others seemed to take quite a bit longer.

I'll be 60 in a couple of years (Lord willing and the prostate don't rise)

Sometimes it just doesn't seem possible that it all really happened...

But it did.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Every time I get into a rotarywing aircraft, even to this day..I have this overwhelming urge to sit on my hat...

Been there, done that..but only going from point a to point b. At point b...I got out and walked. Long picnics in the woods. Met intersting people.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

All of those robots are very promising and innovative. I am sure that they have thousands of bugs, etc, but their potential is enormous. Also, robots do not need food, p*rn, air conditioning, and a lot of other things that soldiers need. (though they need fuel, spares and maintenance)

Ignoramus27939

I don't (won't?) get in one of those things anymore. Haven't done that even once in the last 38 years. I'm not that young and dumb any more!

"It was the best of times, it as the worst of times".

Hell of a summer vacation!

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Blade Runner. Which is not exactly the same story as the book it was taken from (Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep).

Reply to
cavelamb himself

shoot --rounds 13; retreat --dest bridge.madiya"

As with anything else technological there can be forseen and unforseen consequences and ramifications that become unavoidable and that cause, shall we say, "difficulties" later on down the line.

What was that great sci-fi thriller movie with the cyborgs/robots and the one who realized that he was "timed" to die?

But the biggest trouble with these neat piles of walking scrap is that they will eventually be coming your way. Think carefully about that advent. And, if you don't live long enough, then they'll be coming at your children and grandchildren, if you have them.

Can you say "Robocop"??

...not looking forward to that day. Nor am I happy with the imbeciles who insist upon blowing up everything to send the world back to a 14th century world concept... maybe the phrase "usless idiots" is more appropriate...??

_-_-

Reply to
bear

shoot --rounds 13; retreat --dest bridge.madiya"

As with anything else technological there can be forseen and unforseen consequences and ramifications that become unavoidable and that cause, shall we say, "difficulties" later on down the line.

What was that great sci-fi thriller movie with the cyborgs/robots and the one who realized that he was "timed" to die?

But the biggest trouble with these neat piles of walking scrap is that they will eventually be coming your way. Think carefully about that advent. And, if you don't live long enough, then they'll be coming at your children and grandchildren, if you have them.

Can you say "Robocop"??

...not looking forward to that day. Nor am I happy with the imbeciles who insist upon blowing up everything to send the world back to a 14th century world concept... maybe the phrase "useless idiots" is more appropriate...??

_-_-

Reply to
bear

I've lived that life while working at a Renaissance Festival, and at times in the Army, and it really isn't so bad (for men, at least) as long as modern medicine is available.

We could do *extremely* well with our stocks of metal and the knowledge of how to make and fix things.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My dad stayed out of Korea due to his close relationship with Hiller Helicopters, and work he was doing in the Army on just how far parts could be run before needing replacement. His favorite description of helicopters is "10,000 parts, all trying to get away from each other".

Dad's a fixed wing guy with a fondness for radials.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I like your Dad!

Obviously an intelligent man with excellent tastes in flying machines...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Would that have been Chu Lai? I spent the same time frame just outside the Chu Lai defense perimeter, I suspect that you overflew our camp many times.

Reply to
George

Golly, Hi George! Yeah, we did routine patrols aound there.

B troop was based in Quan Loi. C and HQ in beautiful downtown Phouc Vihn.

So how ya doin' these days?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Both summers.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Doin' OK. Can't say I think well of the "summer vacation" though.

I fondly remember the "balmy days at the beach" filling sandbags as we repaired and maintained our bunkers.

I also remember looking up as you guys flew overhead (quite envious) as we tended the wounded. We were a "forward clearing station" formally known as LZ Mud. Then there were the returning F-4Bs from MAG 13 which if heavy would dump fuel on final, often as we were working in the company area. A cool mist of jet fuel, refreshing NOT.

1AO/91A20 combat medic, came home with the badge to prove it, and no more orfices in my body upon return that were there when I left.

Visited the local 1st Cav base camp one evening and got to see an underground hooch that a couple of your guys dug, making it possible to sleep all night long without fear of mortars or rockets. Really cool (I mean literally) and quiet.

Your guys were quite inventive.

George

Reply to
George

That's the Cav for you. :)

If you ain't Cav, you ain't shit! (If you ARE Cav, then... hey! Wait a minute!?)

LZ Mud? That name rings bells - more like warning sirens! I believe we brought you guys some playmates a few times.

Anybody ever tell you, "Thanks"?

An interesting (to me anyway) side note.

It was a medic that gave me the hint I needed to pull myself back into some semblance of proper order!

He was loading bodies one day and suddenly realized her was going to be dead for a whole lot longer than he'd ever be alive...

So he decided not to waste his alive time. That sorta made sense to me. So I try to crawl outta my cave more often now...

Richard

cavelamb himself

Probably so, we received many "playmates" that way.

As a matter of fact, no body ever did, so you are welcome. Somehow that never occured to them or to me, they were just doing their job and I was just doing mine.

Me too.

Another side note, I also took care of our battalion power, putting the perimeter wires back up (after the unfriendlies shot them down to turn out the perimeter lights), kept the generator running.. etc...

One day the 1st of the 52nd got hit really hard by rockets, one of them found the generator. My Colonel thought highly of my capabilities so he called for a chopper to take me out to their HQ, a short distance south of Chu Lai, to see what I could do, if anything. One of your guys showed up in a LOH-1. Scariest ride I have ever taken in anything, glad he was on my side, but he was having a really good time I was sure.

Sat on the pad till he had full rotor rpm, pulled collective and we jumped straight up about 200 feet, then he pushed the cyclic till I was looking over his shoulder straight at the pad we just left. We just cleared our tents then out over the river just clearing the top branches of the trees.

Wheww....

Nothing I could do for the gen set, it was a total write off.

Ride back at night on Highway 1 in a jeep was another story too.

Glad you came home in one piece.

Enjoy the boating.

George

Reply to
George

LoL! Impressive isn't it!

That manouver sounds like what we call the "Apache Getaway".

Full up collective, full forward cyclic, full right pedal, and pray the engine don't burp (compressor stall for you piston heads).

It's kind of a Wilie Coyote thing.... But it gets you outttttta there - in a hurry.

We went out sailing this evening intending to try out a borrowed spinnaker. I think it may be too big. But one from a Flying Scott might fit(?)

The wind was blowing 15-18 mph and I chickened out. Wait for a little calmer conditions to do foolish wizard stuff.

Also looked at a Catalina 30 a neighbor is selling. It's ok but the Erickson 30 gives me a woody. What a sweet ship.

1983 model that looks show room perfect.

And, Hey Georoge, thanks man...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I may have one left over from my Thistle

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Hey!

I couldn't turn up actual specs for the Thistle as short notice.

But for those who like _real_ boats...

That's probably a little smaller but it's a fractional rig so it probably wouldn't be to big for her.

My I dimension is 20'0 And J is 6' 6"

Could be about right.

Lemme know, ok?

Richard

And, Hey Gunner, Thanks man...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

YES!

But it nearly cost me a clean pair of shorts!

Cool, sailboats are so neat. Thought of buying one once and doing some sailing, but Oklahoma doesn't offer much opportunity... sigh....

Last Thursday I sniped a 20 foot Bayliner Capri off eBay, with a 125 hp OB. Won't actually get my hands on it for a week or so. Friend is picking it up in MS and holding it for me. Should be interesting. Don't have to wait for the wind, but then it costs more to not wait.

You're welcome.

George

Reply to
George