Rigging Price Check

They are insured.

That is all true but that is a lot of money that I could put in tooling. So while I see that their pricing makes sense, and if I was doing this as a business expense they would be doing the moving, I am going to try it myself.

Yep, I'm going to have a go at it, today actually. Really in just a few minutes. I just came inside to see if any more suggestions had been posted that I could use.

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
Martin Riggins

Yeah, I see that. The garage end is the one I was talking about. So while I haven't got it all figured out yet I'm still working on the setup to be able to move it right now. Hopefully someone will post something profound or I'll think of something good on my own.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Riggins

Would be wise to make a move plan and post it here prior to doing it. It may sound silly and trivial to some people who think they are too sophisticated, but can get some of your mistakes corrected without actually suffering the consequences.

Ignoramus27556

When I move heavy stuff, I often check my operational plans with our nanny, who is a former crane operator.

Ignoramus27556

For pulling horizontaly? Do you have some garden behind the garage? Get some round steel stock 1" diameter, 2' long and ram it somewhere between the roses into the ground. Tell your wife that roses need iron to grow better.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Reply to
RoyJ

Also... Do not move the shop crane with the mill suspended on the chain (hanging and swinging). That's dangerous, as it can swing and put the center of gravity outside of the crane's base formed by caster wheels (usually forward of it). That happens when you move and hit a bump, however small.

Once you lift the mill off the trailer and move away the trailer, come back to the crane, set some 4x4s or some other platform between legs securely, and lower the mill on that platform so that the mill stands on it and the chain merely keeps the mill from falling.

Ignoramus27556

This is probably too late as it sounds like you are doing the job yourself, but I found that a local rigger was a lot more reasonable on price if I was willing to make myself available to his schedule. He picked up a Clausing

5914 and delivered it 15 miles to our house and moved it into the garage with a fork lift for $200 providing I was able to make myself available to receive it on a day's notice so he could combine my load with another one going the same way. In hindsight that seems like one of the smartest $200 I ever spent.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Yes!