rockwell horizontal mill grease

I recently bought a rockwell horizontal mill.
The back gears for the spindle are totally enclosed in a very
tall cavity. The manual says to use grease (7oz). It appears there
is a drain plug on the back of the machine (above the motor)
and a fill plug on the side of the machine which is probably
about 1 inch from the bottom.
Based on my previous experience with rockwell machines, I suspect
the recommended lub is no longer made. What kind of grease
should I use and how to I purge the old grease.
As a side note. The back gears run ok, but there is some noise
which is typically of backlash in gears. I have no idea if the
amount of noise is typical or excessive.
Anyone out there with a rockwell horizontial that can provide
some advice????
chuck
Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood
I have a machine which has some noise in the gear train. Eventually I traced it to pitting on the faces of the gear teeth. Nothing I can do except replace the gears, so I adjust the backlash correctly, lube them correctly, and keep the old gal humming along. - GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin