Sanford Surface Grinder

    Great! I'm glad that it can be of help to more through your efforts.

    O.K. I remember that -- and I thought at the time that you were trying to figure out how to mount a motor to your own machine, not collect information about all of them. (Or did the collecting information come later?)

    Right now mine is on the floor -- waiting for more bench space to appear in the wake of the fire. And I can't lift it right now because I am (very slowly) recovering use of my right arm after breaking it about a year ago.
    Looking at the three surfaces which I can see fairly easily (the back and two sides), I can't see a serial number. The front is facing the wrong way -- though I could probably tilt it back enough to see the number if you tell me that is where it is.

    Great!

    FWIW, mine has two oil cups very close together at the center front of the table.
    For the back-front ways, there are four cups, one above each end of each V-way.

    Hmm ... it was introduced in the same year that I was. :-) (Any clue as to which month?

    Amazing that that high a percentage is still around and findable. Over 1% so far -- and probably others to be determined.

    Great! I figured that no parts would be available anywhere after I got the manual from the factory -- and nobody else could contact them subsequently. I guess that the impending closure of the factory explains the rather gruff manner of the fellow on the phone.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

You weren't posting the photos for me, DoN. I just came across them later. Hope he figured out a mount, although on the Sanford it isn't just a motor mount, it is a precision ground part of the spindle carrier.
I don't have a month for the introduction of the machines. By the way, the serial number is on a plate on the lower front of the machine, right under the cross feed handwheel.
Dennis

    O.K. I never had mine off, so I did not know this. Thanks.

    O.K. Found. I and to use some ScotchBrite to make the numbers readable. It comes out as:
    "SG 151 1471".
    Really heavy to tilt it back when it is bolted to a base platform which extends a bit beyond the motor, and only one arm is working fully. :-)
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
replying to mixdenny, Faust wrote:

I have a very old Sanford which I bought at a farm auction. the power supply is toast from rust and is old enough t require vacuum tubes. I would appreciate a copy of the "improved power supply"
Thanks for the serial number! Your grinder was made in 1951. At serial numb er 1511500, the factory made the switch to the 202 model bearings, so unles s yours has been upgraded, the bearing numbers I mentioned in an earlier po st won't work. The upgraded spindle housing does not have an oiler on top, as the 202 bearings are sealed.
Dennis

    So I was ten when it was made. :-)

    This one had an oiler -- and I replaced it with one of the drip type oilers which can be shut off when I'm not using it.
    So -- the 202 bearings also will not work in the existing spindle at all? Did you say something about others which could be substituted in the existing spindle?
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
The earlier bearings are listed as E14 or E15, an old designation. One of my machines has that earlier spindle, but I have had no need to take it apart so I don't have the spindle and housing measurements.

    Thanks! Not really sure whether I need them or not, but it *is* almost as old as I am, and *I* could use new bearings. :-)
    Thanks again,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
replying to mixdenny, Faust wrote:

chuck to several people." I have a very old Sanford which I bought at a farm auction. the power supply is toast from rust and is old enough t require vacuum tubes. I would appreciate a copy of the "improved power supply"