Sanford Surface Grinder

O.K. I never had mine off, so I did not know this. Thanks.

O.K. Found. I and to use some ScotchBrite to make the numbers readable. It comes out as:

"SG 151 1471".

Really heavy to tilt it back when it is bolted to a base platform which extends a bit beyond the motor, and only one arm is working fully. :-)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for the serial number! Your grinder was made in 1951. At serial numb er 1511500, the factory made the switch to the 202 model bearings, so unles s yours has been upgraded, the bearing numbers I mentioned in an earlier po st won't work. The upgraded spindle housing does not have an oiler on top, as the 202 bearings are sealed.

Dennis

Reply to
mixdenny

So I was ten when it was made. :-)

This one had an oiler -- and I replaced it with one of the drip type oilers which can be shut off when I'm not using it.

So -- the 202 bearings also will not work in the existing spindle at all? Did you say something about others which could be substituted in the existing spindle?

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The earlier bearings are listed as E14 or E15, an old designation. One of my machines has that earlier spindle, but I have had no need to take it apart so I don't have the spindle and housing measurements.

There are E14 magneto bearings currently for sale and they list the size as 14 x 35 x 8mm.

The same company sells E15 bearings: 15 x 35 x 8mm.

Dennis

Reply to
mixdenny

Thanks! Not really sure whether I need them or not, but it *is* almost as old as I am, and *I* could use new bearings. :-)

Thanks again, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

replying to mixdenny, Chevyman 7269 wrote: Dennis....I am a retired toolmaker & the company I worked for used at least 10 of these little sandford grinders for short run production work making special drills, counterbores, reamers etc. They all were modified to use a Dumore spindle, making them much more usefull. I have one in my home shop now still being used & can send pictures if you would like.

Reply to
Chevyman 7269

Thanks, Chevyman. I no longer need any more photos, although I still collec t serial numbers for my database as I come across them. All of my research has been published at the following link. There is quite a bit of informati on, both historical and descriptive. I interviewed the former president of the company numerous times, he edited the manuscript until we were happy. H e still owns all the molds and tooling, but there are no plans to manufactu re anything. Dennis

mixdenny

chuck to several people." I have a very old Sanford which I bought at a farm auction. the power supply is toast from rust and is old enough t require vacuum tubes. I would appreciate a copy of the "improved power supply"

Reply to
Faust