SCORE!

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:pdKdnSvKp9mm3jTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Tell me what's wrong with that process.

If I were, I'd start with his using a Bison scroll chuck to "center" the cutters.

It's an interesting _use_ of the mill's 4th axis, but I'll bet every one of those cutters (in that example) cuts on only one flute.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Those kind of machines are a good part of reason why commodity cutting tools are so cheap when you subtract raw materials cost

We had a couple of 9axis huffmann at the lazy B back in the day; mostly, we used them for semi-production regrinds of carbide endmills so they were grossly under-utilized IMO

Anyways, if you get a chance, take a look at some of his other videos--a exceptionally creative individual whom I'd hire in an instant if he came knocking.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

>=20

Personally I would suggest a 5c setup or at least a 3-jaw with freshly = re-ground masters but in reality, the larger the cutter diameter, the = less important it becomes to be perfectly centered; where you are mostly = hogging aluminum for instance with say, a 1in dia cutter at .030 IPT, = then 5 thou of runout is basically inconsequential.

Also, you might be surprised at how accurately most new, medium quality, =

3 jaws will repeat out-of box up until they finally get whacked a good = one.
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

volley=20

increasing=20

Okay, just wanted to make sure you were clear on that..

BTW, cobalt end mills are a bit more difficult to grind, the word = "tougher" being an apt description...spark color, pattern and intensity = is also bit different.

Anyways--likely it won't take you very long to notice that, when = sharpening, they actually do "feel" a bit different as compared to = M2--after which point if you ever happen to unexpectadly encounter one, = you'll probably realize it fairly quickly.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Here, basically you have to challenge each and every new assessment or = else it just keeps piling up....

IOW pretty sure no provisions exist allowing for adjustment of a levy = that's more than a year old.

--definitely something to check into, since history tends to repeat = itself.....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:1a-dna_nn_ac-DTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Thank you. Again, good advice. I use 'em. I've never sharpened them.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ok. Thanks. BTW, the grinder I'm talking about will be in the Amada Machine Tools booth at IMTS. It's called the DV-7M. Tell them I sent you.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:_MOdnYD1kPHGxDTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

I own that exact chuck. TIR ain't all that good.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Usually, I make the boss on the backing plate a tad undersize....allows = a few thou of radial clearance between it and the chuck body--then, when = I mount the chuck, I use an indicator and tap it around so as to = carefully position it dead true to the spindle bearings before finally = tightening the mounting bolts....finally, I'll use a ring and then a = spider, grinding the master jaws with a tool post grinder, in two = stages.

This does two things...

First, it balances the chuck which, if it happens to on a lathe, keeps = it from shaking up your beer and walking across the floor when run at = high speeds...

Second, this leaves you with a bit of a a kludge factor, allowing you to = bump it around a little in case it's only accurate within a certain size = ranges ( damaged scroll ) or where it's taken a substantial hit, but you = don't currently have time to go back and re-grind your jaws at the = moment.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:pvudnU8Yt9sl4TTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Gotta think about that one. What happens on interrupted cuts?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Nothing..

Unless you're running so hard that you're basically ASKING for something = to go amiss...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I wonder what this is appraised at:

Michael A. Terrell