Sealing fork lift gauges from the weather

I'm rewiring the electrical system on my Allis-Chalmers FP40 fork lift, and while I've got everything torn apart I thought I'd also replace the gauges on the console. The gauges are: fuel level, water temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, and amps. They're all the standard small 2 & 1/16 inch diameter units.

Problem is, this lift has to live outside in the weather. The existing gauges are rusty & mostly broken (lift is 40+ years old). If I replace them, I'd like to have them stay working and looking good.

Can anyone suggest either a method of sealing ordinary automotive gauges, or a manufacturer of "hardened" gauges, designed to get wet and not care, possibly specific to construction equipment? Any other solutions will be gratefully received!

All the best, Dave

Reply to
LowEnergyParticle

Please post your findings when you find out, okay?

Ignoramus1606

marine gauges,vdo etc

or there are these gauges that they sell at my auto electric supply place for like no m> I'm rewiring the electrical system on my Allis-Chalmers FP40 fork lift,

Reply to
yourname

Check with your local marine supply

Rex B

marine guages

Reply to
Erik Litchy

Check on marine gauges. I would think they would be more suited, but as soon as a mfg puts marine on something the price doubles.

Reply to
Grady

I don't know how the back of your instrument panel looks, but a piece of glass over the top (plastic or lexan won't likely last another 40 years...) and carefully seal the connections in the back with silicone should take care of just about everything but the rats and mice needing to sharpen their teeth.

Reply to
carl mciver

all the standard

I have worked on machines that use a gasketed cover to seal the gauges when the machine is not in use. This cover with the proper latch and hinges would be a fairly simple fix and allow you to use cheaper gauges and allow some protection from vandals. ( feeble ones anyway) Steve Peterson

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Thank you very much to all who responded!

I'm going with a combination of:

  1. Marine gauges, and
  2. A piece (slab!) of 1/2" tempered UV-filtering glass gasketed around the 20" wide by 6" high part of the control panel where all the gauges are.
  3. NEMA 4 (washdown-proof) rated pushbuttons and switches for the starter, lights, etc.

I think I'll build a shallow plywood box to cover the whole thing when it's not being used. Thank you all again very much; a lot of great ideas!

Dave

Reply to
LowEnergyParticle