Sharpening rotary razor cutters

When I discovered it will cost nearly forty bucks to replace the cutters, I decided it might be worthwhile to sharpen the existing ones.

Is this at all practical?

(Yeah, I'm a cheapskate. I'm so tight I squeak. I'm so cheap that I make my kid take off his glasses when he's not actually looking at something.)

Reply to
Ted Bennett

thats the best laugh Ive had all week!

Reply to
Wwj2110

Yep!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Something like a one-bevel pizza cutter, right? You should be able to mount it on a mandrel and use a diamond hone/oil stone/Arkansas stone to restore the edge. I'll leave the means and speed of driving the mandrel to you as well as the method of holding your chosen sharpening media, just that if it gets loose or your hand or fingers slip, realize what you've got there. I did something like that once for sharpening a can opener cutter, much smaller but the principle was the same. I used a Jacobs headstock chuck and slowest backgear on the lathe. Was very, very careful and used a 1/4" square diamond hone. Now, you can't even buy a can opener that could be taken apart that way, it was a family heirloom, if you can say that about a kitchen tool. Good for another 50 years, though.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Howdy! I understand tight, but prefer to call it frugal. I have some small Imperial Eastman tubing cutters that I use to cut brass and sometimes steel tubing. After several cuts through steel, I remove the cutting wheel from the pipe cutter, mount the wheel on a mandrel in my little Atlas, light the fire and go.

Depending on the wheel condition I start with fine wet-or-dry sand paper, 400 grit, step up to 600 grit, then switch to a chunk of 1000 Japanese water stone. If I'm looking for the ultimate finish, I continue up through 8000 water stone. Which is way overkill, but if you've got it, flaunt it.

Depending on the thickness of the cutter, you could turn a backing plate with 2 hubs. One hub goes into the chuck and the other is a slip fit for the cutter center hole. Tap the cutter hub and use a bolt and cup arrangement to press the cutter up tight to the backing plate. Then sharpen until satisfied or bored, which ever comes first.

Just a thought

Rick Dulas

Reply to
Dr. Spiff

On Norelco type razor, remove head, leave all cutters in place, flush out under running water, place little Emeory dust ,ad maby A little spit on each cutter,with the head pointing downward ,replace it on razor, and turn on the power for just an instant, remove head and flush out abrasive under running water. Did this 2 months ago, still cutting good! If You don't have emeory dust I think valve grinding compound would work. Happy Shaves Palmer from ND

Reply to
Palmer Nelson

I've done this by removing the flip-up "lid" that holds them........ and using the razor itself to rotate the cutter .......which I placed down on a piece of 600 wet-dry sandpaper. Worked OK.

K>When I discovered it will cost nearly forty bucks to replace the

Reply to
Kingfish Stevens

Many toothpastes contain some fine abrasive. Maube too fine but I used to use crest to pollish light scratches out of a motorcycle face shield. That was followed by a plastic polish and cleaner - Mc.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Entirely different cutter. The teeth on the shaver cutter stick out from the wheel sorta like a hole saw.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards
[ ... ]

Others have already given good suggestions -- with two branches, depending on what you have.

But -- there is *another* option. I last shaved somewhen around

1976 or so. That saves *lots* of money for electrons, muscle effort, shaving cream, and/or time. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Excellent point, DoN. I follow that advice to the letter, but make mine since 1964.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Grew my beard some years back. After a camping trip once I thought, WTF, think I'll shave it off. Came out from the shower to a raucus chorus of laughter and inane comments from my progeny. Finally, I put my foot down and said that was enough. They kept laughing, and one said 'Dad, your just not scary anymore'. Gillette hasn't made much offa me.

michael

Reply to
michael

Electrons? What do electrons have to do with this? I trim my beard once in a while, with a straight razor and shaving soap/mug/brush. Works great.

The last time I shaved it off, I was insulating my attic and wanted to wear a full-face respirator. My wife had never seen me 'without' and threatened great harm if I did not grow it back immediately!

Jim

jim rozen

snip-

Must have been quite a sight, Jim!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Pretty much my experience too. Last time none of my friends noticed that Id cut it all off..but the family claimed I looked 15 yrs old.

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will, through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs, Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota). The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability. Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones, of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines." Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Gunner

This is my secret weapon. When I turn "old" I'm gonna shave it off again. Hope to drop at lease 15 years that way!

Jim

jim rozen

I only go about half way, I shave my neck and lips, since 1972, except when I supervised an asbestos removal project and management decreed that a razor blade was cheaper than a positive pressure mask. While I was clean shaven, my cat refused to have anything to do with me.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

When I shaved mine off for three months, SWMBO said I looked naked, Mother said "better", senior son- "younger", second son- "older", and junior at seven thought I looked shorter for some reason. Anyhow, after two weeks growth, the cat accepted me as his friend again. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Last summer, while yard saleing, a little guy asked if I was Santa. He accepted my answer that "No I am not Santa, I'm not fat enough." Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

,

Interesting. Would you shave it off now? I know I would not. A neighbor, who works in security at a local dam and power generating facility, brought me an application for employment with the idea I might like earning a little money to supplement my SS. I returned it to him when it specified one must not wear a beard. Unless something is life threatening, I have no intentions of shaving mine. Not after almost 40 years! Imagine the hell I endured when I was a young dude and was in the National Guard (an MP, no less!) when I left the "three hairs" unshaved that I could grow on my face. I shave NOTHING today. I'm not sure I even own a razor, although I recall that I used to use a single edge variety which is likely tucked away somewhere. Who the hell needs it!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos