Simplest electric motor

Ignoramus5215

:) That was worth watching.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I wonder if they're anywhere near a large magnetic field. Back in the

1990s at least, we had a blower fan in GE's MRI scanners that was a normal DC motor with fixed field - but the field was the scanner's magnet itself. Strangest motor you ever saw, just a rotor, no stator. Only worked when the system was ramped up. Not sure if it was a prototype or went into production that way but damned clever, and a great puzzler for people who know just enough about how motors work.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:56:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

I was in tears when it finished. Good laugh!

-- I guess they don't make import crap like they used to. --Ernie L., Usenet's Wreck.Metal group

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No need for one. It's a classic homopolar motor in a very clever implementation.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have recently seen the same thing with a slight variation here
.

Must try it before I see my nephew at Christmas and make sure I have the goods along.

Reply to
David Billington