Small Florida Town "gets it" (guns)

Iggy, "can legally be ignored" is, I think, non-sequitor, because there is no intent on the part of the council to compel - or even urge

- anyone to do anything -- only to encourage them.

A resolution is a public declaration of intent, position, willingness to do something, or approval of some person or action.

When city and county councils issue resolutions, 90% of the time, they're about congratulating or recognizing a person or organization for things they did that benefitted the citizens. But sometimes they issue resolutions to give guidance to the populace.

This one seems to be of that sort. The council was saying, "We the law-making body of this city will support you if you go in this direction. We approve of it, and you won't find yourself having to defend your ownership or use of the gun, if you need it."

It's a completely legitimate political strategy to give a movement "legs" without the difficult and often contentious process of actually changing laws or ordinances or writing new ones that conflict with some people's positions. They're saying "this is where we stand on this matter" in a very public and documented way.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd, thanks, I think that I get it now. I hope that the would-be home invaders know about that resolution also.

Ignoramus3972

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 23:28:06 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus1057 scrawled the following:

The text below indicates that the town council "resolved", that means "suggested". See? You weren't reading it very closely.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 08:16:03 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus3972 scrawled the following:

Well said, LLoyd! (Damn, I turned the light off.)

Yes, the newspapers (as well as other media) who printed that made sure that everyone in the city/county/state/USA knew about it. Also please notice that the cities who do this don't end up with headlines later with all sorts of violent gun actions, either, as your fellow Liberal buddies would suggest. The council suggests it, more and more people follow that suggestion, things quiet down in that town, and the would-be perps leave town quietly, in the dead of night, heading for safer places to do their crimes. Works for me!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah. Things like the citizenry keep some foodstocks and water in case of emergency, own a portable generator, keep the dry leaves and vegetation from around their houses, clean up their yards, meaningless stuff like that.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Iggy, I think that bottom line, bad guys behave like the predators they are. If they think that a homeowner may be armed, they may go to another locale. It has been proven that gun ownership and relaxed concealed carry laws have lessened crimes in a lot of states.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

yes, I regard suggestions lacking the force of law as "meaningless" in the context of a government body - they should not wast their time, the dollars to light the building while they debate it, or anything else unless there is an action to be taken - this is no more meaningful, per what you are telling me, than the "suggestion" that we get out of iraq that some city councils passed. Now, if they said that there would be free amunition, paid for by city taxes, that is a government act (we could debate its wisdom), but otherwise, this is strum-und-drag (hope I spelled it right)

Reply to
Bill Noble

Sturm und Drang.

Perhaps a lot depends on the suggestability and even responsibility of the populace in question. If nobody in the populace (say in California) will do anything that's good for the greater number unless compelled to by law, then suggestions would indeed be useless. However, if a populace really believes in the leaders it elects and is strongly motivated to do "the right thing", then suggestions could be very effective. They might even be more effective than laws, which must be enforced (cost) and violators must be punished (more cost).

Laws are obviously necessary with any real populace, but I also think that resolutions can be useful and have beneficial effect.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Dumbass. It is the first step in getting a local law passed.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don, I live about three miles from the Belleview City Hall. A lot of people around here are armed, and well trained. The idea is to let the criminals know that there are less protected places that improve their chance of survival.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That is a good description of the Belleview area. It was hit by several hurricanes a few years ago, but almost no looting was reported. People had food stockpiled. Some had generators. The county had most of the schools open for shelters. People helped neighbors cut up fallen trees, and took care of each other.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can only think of one shooting in Belleview, in the past ten years. I drive through there almost every week to get groceries, or other things I need.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can see why. With a population of less than 4,000, Belleview has 32 registered sex offenders and a personal crime rate four times higher than my town, which is 17 miles from Newark. My town, with three times the population, has one registered sex offender. Violent crime runs 2.5 X higher in Belleview.

Personal armor would be a good idea, too. Even better would be moving somewhere else. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

One thing about Belleview, though, based on the sex-offender data: It's one town in which you want to look over your shoulder before you bend over to pick up a bar of soap.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

someone should tell mr frommer that, or inform him that he needs to stay out of a bunch of other states too

charlie

I think the point is that a surprisingly number of adult Americans think there is something wrong/scary/immoral about have a gun in the house. Having the local authorities tell everyone in town "Go ahead, get a gun and ammunition, learn to use it safely, and provide for the protection of your household. We give our official blessing to all who wish to do so". See, that makes it OK.

Reply to
RBnDFW

45 of them to be exact.....

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:00:16 -0700, the infamous "charlie" scrawled the following:

Screw Frommer. Boycott Frommer Guides!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This data suggests that having "a lot of people armed and well-trained"apparently has not resulted in lower crime stats for Belleview than for Ed's town in N.J. which sounds like a nice place to live. There may also be differences in avg income, pct of pop near or below poverty level, population density and various other demographics that might have some influence on incidence of violent crime.

I don't buy the sometimes-suggested "halo effect" that allowing the populace to be armed reduces violent crime in general. I don't care for the NRA propaganda to that effect. The pivotal issue for me is my liberty and right to defend myself and mine whether or not others might care to do similarly for themselves and theirs.

I do buy the notion that a citizen who is able to effectively defend himself or herself is less likely to become a victim of what might otherwise become a violent crime.

I won't accept measures that would apply the same restrictions to me that they would to criminals and lunatics since I am neither. I am a responsible citizen. We can and should do better than that.

If body armor is indicated, it is indeed time to move.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Perhaps the statement was made by the City Council in an effort to pass the word around that the crime rate needs to be reduced, and they have now "allowed" the citizens to help in the effort of removing bad people from the population, one way or another?

But Don..the Halo effect DOES exist. I live in a Red County in the middle of California. We have more CCW permit carriers than the ENTIRE rest of the state. We do have a crime rate..but it consistes mostly of minorities killing other minorities. Very very few whites kill each other off, and we do have a decent stat rate where minoritiy criminals are killed by whites in self defense. And even that homicide rate is dropping as the minority criminals have evidently decided that attacking a white may well get them killed.

I mention minorities and whites because while Im not a bigot..it IS a very big fact of life in the US in some places. Shrug. California..Southern California..the LA basin has a rapidly elevating homicide rate this year. And the increase has ALL been between minority victims and minority killers...ie Gang Crime.

Since the growth of MS-13 in the major cities..there has been a significant rise in minority homicides..committed by other minorities.

IE..Blacks are being murdered by both other blacks and by latinos in rising rates.

White homicides, both commited by and victims of..are still falling...to lows below those of the 1960s.

Frankly..its gang warfare between two minoritiy groups that is rising the homicide rate. And given that MS-13 has few scruples and will kill purely out of instinct...its going to be an interesting year or two.