Small Florida Town "gets it" (guns)

Your belief system is noted. Appreciated non the less.

"The benefits of concealed handguns are not limited to those who use them in self-defense. Because the guns may be concealed, criminals are unable to tell whether potential victims are carrying guns until they attack, thus making it less attractive for criminals to commit crimes that involve direct contact with victims. Citizens who have no intention of ever carrying concealed handguns in a sense get a ?free ride? from the crime-fighting efforts of their fellow citizens. However, the ?halo? effect created by these laws is apparently not limited to people who share the characteristics of those who carry guns. The most obvious example is the drop in murders of children following the adoption of nondiscretionary laws. Arming older people not only may provide direct protection to these children, but also causes criminals to leave the area...

etc etc etc.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Bullshit theorizing by empty-headed ideologues. Look at the figures I posted: Your theory is that you have a "halo effect" in your county because you have "more CCWs than all the rest of CA combined," as you put it (I'm not sure that's correct, but I won't quibble), and that your crime figures are high because it's all minorities killing other minorities.

Yet, the murder rate for white non-hispanics in your county is over 3.5/100k while for the state as a whole it's 2.04.

In other words, if you have a halo, it's on upside-down. You have more CCWs and higher rates of murders by whites.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(snip lots of supporting arguments for damn foolishness)

Nowhere did I say that anything should be stifled, nor do I think that any more than I think that folks who publicly post utter rubbish in offensive language should have their 1st amendment rights stifled.

However, I do think that if enough damned fools with guns indulge in swaggerwide, intimidating, defiant, "in your face" behavior abusing their 2d amendment rights, there will be increasing interest in making at least some of what is now legal no longer so. The 2d amendment is not writ in stone. The 21st amendment repealed the 18th amendment when the people decided that the 18th had been a mistake.

If I were trying to build public support for gun control, I'd make sure there were a couple of damn fools like this at lots of political rallies, corn feeds, festivals, outdoor concerts, state fairs, etc. "What color was he?" "Dunno but the gun was black."

My interest is not in stifling their rights even of damned fools, it's in not having their damnfoolishness result in my rights getting amended along with theirs. Ownership of guns does not presently require posession of even marginal intellect but I sure hope their smarter rellies, buds or neighbors eventually knock some sense into them. If they have a statement to make, let 'em make a speech or post written opinions like citizens rather than posturing as reckless rebels with assault rifles.

And you're from Da Nang, right?

I'm actually from Michigan, but I've lived in MN for many years now.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Which damned fools with guns are you discussing? A black man who exhibited cool knowledge of the law and made no scene?

Thats exactly what the Left TRIED to do. Notice that all the photos of the gentleman were edited to prevent any idea that he was black? And they (news anchors) were blithering about "racism"?

Nope..was only there a few times. Shrug. I hate big cities.

And it shows..it shows indeed. Gotta love the midwest mediocrity. Me..I left there and moved West...far more west than you did. Shrug

We believe that mediocrity is the root of all evil.

So you are a Centrist on gun rights too eh? Fortunately most people are far more involved and concerned than you are about freedom and firearm rights.

Hope you have a couple tucked away, that the Powers that be dont know about..and suitable amounts of ammo. You may be needing them in the next 3 yrs..less actually. Hope not...but..shrug..Ive explained why.

Respects

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:22:41 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

I'm from Nairobi, Maam. Isn't everyone?

There's a difference?

-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Northern Michigan (UP) and Northern MN are quite similar but Minneapolis/St Paul is demographically and culturally quite different from Detroit.

Reply to
Don Foreman

No more so than a guy cooly wearing a hazmat suit in the school cafeteria.

You noticed! Very good, Gunner!

I wonder if I could pass the California entrance exam.

I think it's Lake Wobegone where all the children are above average. That's in MN, by the way.

Then there won't be a problem.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don Foreman fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I always gripe when Garrison says that. Durn it! If they're ALL above average, then who the heck did they use for the average, Chicago kids?

At least, the women are strong.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There are somewhat less rusting factories in MN...somewhat.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

And you have noticed perhaps that its backfired badly..and while the MSM has dropped it like a hot coal...the People have not forgotten what they tried to do...and are fuming about it? Thats a very good thing. I take it you havent read much on guerilla warefare eh?

Here...maybe these will help

Guerrilla Warfare: Che Guevara - by Ernesto Guevara On Guerrilla Warfare - by Zedong Mao, Samuel B Griffith

?isrc=b-search Id be happy to send you a suggested reading list.

No..you are not Leftwing enough. On the other hand..you can sneak into the Red portion of California and feel largely at home. If you can deal with the weather.

Thats where the ugly kids come from? We see a few of them now and then in the malls here in California. Sad..very sad.

Of course not. Id still rather have you at my back than most urban Californians.

Notice the number of mentally ill people profiled:

And I still respect you greatly.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:49:06 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

It's all Fort Frozen Wilderness to me. Got Canucks? (Or do the Finns and Swedes make up for a lack of them? ;)

-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:43:31 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Um, do you mean there stainless steel factories or that there are fewer rusting factories there, G? Or both?

-- Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You don't want to count the elevator boy?

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Not for about 45 years. I'm surprised that you didn't include Sun Tzu's "Art of War", seminal for all forms of warfare including guerilla. Also useful for corporate in-fighting and probably for prevailing in piddle-contests within the Harper Valley PTA.

I did have some military education including school in guerilla warfare once upon a time.

Guerilla warfare, almost by definition, cannot not be learned from a book or a doctrine. There is no formula. It's more an attitude, ability to improvise and be sneaky, devious, alert, cunning, sly, utterly ruthless and usually invisible.

I'm retired.

Yeah, the climate of the red parts would be a problem. I don't mind heat, steamy or dry, but Minnesota Mary seems to be predominantly exothermic. She regards 45 as wet teeshirt weather and doesn't do hot weather well at all, not at all.

Those are FIB's from Iowa.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Three of the leading three makers of medical electronic devices (pacemakers, ICD's etc) are here: Boston Sci, Medtronic and St. Jude. Also Starkey, a leading maker of hearing aids. The HQ of Magnum Research (Desert Eagle) is right here in Fridley, an easy walk from my house.

Unmarked other than their street address but I drove right by their front door today en route to the nearby post office to pick up our accumulated mail.

Much of Michigan, at least the lower peninsula, is economically tied to the auto industry in Detroit. 'Nuff said?

The yoopers (Upper Peninsula) are also feeling the pinch. There's about no industry in the UP but there are three universities and a few highways that depend upon flow of money north from Lansing.

I had a chat last week with some folks on staff at Michigan Technological University in Houghton. One of them was neighbor-at-lake Zip's daughter and a dept administrator, her hub is a prof. Research grant money from Detroit has dried up noticably. Fancy that.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Well..given the economy, the Obama clusterfuck and whatnot..Id have to say you are not retired,,,,but on inactive duty. Just a heads up for the next 2-3 yrs.

Its only been around 115f since Friday. Im working tonight, moving Stuff around in the back 40, tossing a bunch of shit away, mostly old computer equipment, boxing up a bunch to take to the Good Will, sorting out electrical stuff etc. its only 12:30 am, Ill rack out in 5 or 6 hours, sleep through the hot part of the day, and hit it again

. So far..Ive got No work for this week. Damned little money so I need to start trying to move some of this stuff that came out of the factory I shut down. And it appears that my place in Fullerton..a bigish factory..Is likely to get shut down any day. So Friday I spraypainted (with a stencil) my company name on everything Ive got in the plant, took some of my welding equipment and other Stuff home, leaving only the plasma cutter, 31' sissor lift and Tig welder, so the guys could use it.

Ive got to figure out what to do with a Hardinge chucker, DV59, OmniTurn retro on a Hardinge, surface grinder, 4 swiss screw machines, etc etc. I figure if I load em on a flat bed its gonna cost me $500 to get the load moved home..and then what do I do with em while trying to sell em? Im 150 miles north of LA.

And Ive got a 20' conex loaded to the roof with Stuff that will need to be moved someplace as well.

The economy in So. Cal...is really really bad. Really bad.

They grunted and said Minnneeeeesoootaaaa when I asked where they were spawned. Maybe they confused all that flat land.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Swamp? What swamp? You must have been in the deep Southern end of Florida that is reserved for morons. As far as mildew, you should have left sooner. At least before the brain rot set in.

As far as them going back to Jersey, I wish the cheap bastards would.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I see. And you're in the belly of Florida, a place that's a good recommendation for carrying pesticides and disinfectant with you at all times.

We lived first in Key Colony Beach, in the Keys, and later in Ft. Lauderdale, on SE 13th Street, which lies between two canals. In the summer, it was difficult to tell where the canal ended and the atmosphere began.

Perhaps you've waited a bit too long, Michael.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I see you've never been in this part of Florida but you just have to be your usual flaming asshole, anyway. There are no screens in my shop, and I work with the 10 foot doors wide open. There are some mosquitoes at dawn and sunset, but the dragonflies keep them under control. The area is gently rolling hills with world famous horse farms. Not that it matters to an ass like you. I have been here almost 22 years and have never carried pesticide or disinfectant, unless it was to clean up after some snowbird left their usual mess. That's why I don't allow any to stay at my home anymore. If they can afford to fly to Florida, they can rent a hotel. I'm not going to feed them. I'm not going to let them borrow my truck. I'm not going to let them triple my utility bills, and I'm not going to put up with their noise.

We don't have that much mold around here, unlike the Keys or New Jersey's swamps. Mold is a big problem near the coasts, but I am near the center of the state. If you didn't know better, you would think it was Ohio or Kentucky. No matter how you try to smear Florida with your lies, I like it here. The weather is good enough about 75% of the time that I can open up my shop and do whatever project I chose. Keep your snow, and all the jerks.

Also, your ignorant comment about Belleview being only 4,000 people, the population doesn't stop at the city limits. About a third of the license plates are out of state, and others from other counties. By contrast, Ocklawaha was much worse, when the FBI and other agencies fired about 4,000 rounds into the cottage where 'MA' Barker and her clam were holed up.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's because you've taken care of maintenance. A bile change every 5,000 miles must be keeping them away from you, Michael. Keep 'er topped up, and you'll never have need for either one.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress