Small Hydraulic Cylinder

Hi Group , Well I have gotten some good help before here so will try again . I have a job to do for a guy and he wants me to build an adjustable chut on his snow blower that he can run with hydraulics .it is a Big snow blower on a Kubota Tractor with the Hyd lift and there is a set of open ports already .I am looking for a small Hyd Cylinder with about a 4-6 inch travel and with 1/4 inch ports in and out . I have seen them but can not remember where or what on .This could save me hours of searching if someone has an answer already .I could build one but that is a lot of work . Please email with info if you have it as to where I can locate one .

Thank you , Bernie Cook

Reply to
Bernie Cook

Buy new from Surplus Center. You're going to need more specs than that, though. You could get a flimsy little Bimba air cylinder rated at 75 psi with 1/4" ports and 4-6" of travel, and it damn sure won't work on your tractor. You need to know the max psi of the Kubota tractor system, and you need to know how much force you need to transmit with the cylinder.

Try

- they have quite a selection of hydraulics.

Grant

Bernie Cook wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Northern Tool (northerntool.com) has a variety of cylinders. I did a quick look and saw only 3/8 and 1/2' ports.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The snowblower my Dad has uses a small hydraulic motor, small sprocket on the motor with a chain wrapped around the chute, the chain simply rides in a "U" channel on the shoot with some little pins sticking out to hook the chain. Seems to work great, will spin all the way around if needed.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

If you don't need something very rugged, Bimba makes some small inexpensive cylinders rated for hydraulic duty.

Look in the dropdown for the Roundline Stainless Steel Body Cylinders for the 500 Hydraulic Cylinders.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Bernie; Whenever you post a queston like this it is a good idea to give us an idea of where you are at. Makes pointing to a supplier easier. Just a thought. Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

[ ... ]

Well ... the first guess eliminates southern Florida and southern Texas, given what he is modifying. :-)

His e-mail domain is cornell.edu, which suggests New York State. Near Ithaca, I think.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yeah, my dad bought a snowthrower without a remote chute director, he ended up using a chain sprocket that way. Just using a hydraulic cylinder would be quick, but I think positioning the chute accurately might be a problem. The O.P's going to want to go at least 180 degrees and just a straight linkage from the cylinder to the chute wouldn't let him do that. The O.P could use a cylinder driving a rack of some sort to move the chute, wouldn't be very compact, though. The hydraulic motor idea is probably best for this application, if there's no room up close for a sprocket and chain arrangement, how about a cable and drum? I've seen some manual chute mechanisms that use this, the cable is thin aircraft cable, it's wrapped around the chute's base and is wound back and forth by a drum. With proper jockey pulleys, the motor could be mounted in a convenient location, if needed. There would probably need to be some sort of stops so snow didn't get shot directly back at the operator.

Surplus Center in Lincoln, NE has a lot of different hydraulic motors, they're online at last,

Stan

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

These guys usually have interesting stuff:

've bought from them once. It took them a few days to ship, but no problems.

Steve Smith

Bernie Cook wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

.I am looking for a small Hyd Cylinder with about a 4-6

Bailey Sales, or Northern Hydraulics?

Reply to
Bill Marrs

Grant , Thanks for the input .I did get several responses to my question so will contact all .Yes as I am a class A tool maker and expermental Machinist i am well aware of pressure's on these things and once I find a supplier of what I am looking for then I will decide what I have and if it will work as well ,If neccesary I have the expertise of building one myself but am trying to eliminate that if I can buy one over the counter .

Thanks again. Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Cook

I surely didn't mean to "look down my nose" at you, Bernie! There are a lot of guys who post questions to this NG who don't know as much as you. Good luck with your project, and I'm sure it will turn out great! - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin