Snap-On Paint

have you ever seen a car painted with a spray can? can you tell the difference between that and a regular car paint job? there is no comparison.

Reply to
charlie

It will look a LOT better. Consider that my paint guns cover an 8" path with an even coat of pain in one swipe. The best spray cans hit about 2" wide with the paint thicker in the center. Also because they can use quality paint and materials you end up with a better paint coating than you can get from ANY can. Spray cans use VERY thin paint and the pressure drops as you use the can. It also uses finer ground pigment which means you use more paint to get a good coat. Take a look at most items that were painted with cans a few years later. They almost always have tiger stripes where the pigment collected and the carrier has worn away.

Personally I would blast the entire thing and powder coat it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Eye of the beholder. Some folks wouldn't notice much difference.

Are you sure you want a high-gloss automotive finish on a tool cabinet? I'd prefer a two-part industrial urethane enamel, e.g. DuPont Imron, that has some gloss but not the definition of image found in an acceptable automotive job. It'd very likely be more rugged.

Beware of acrylic lacquer that is sometimes used on cut-rate auto jobs. It can look very nice when new but it is quite fragile. It's cheap, for those "paint the heap to sell it" jobs.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Guy I worked with, used rattle cans to paint his car one afternoon after it sat in the sun while he ate lunch - greatest orange peel effect I have ever seen! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Likely wanting to see the rust or other problems.

And all of the complex surfaces.

Martin

Mart> >>> >>>> >>>>

Martin H. Eastburn

why don't you go to a REAL paint store, not a hardware store or a consumer automotive store? The places that supply body/fender shops, for example - they will know what the paint is, will be able to match, and sell you the proper thinners and primers to use with it as well as whatever protective gear you need to apply it. - generic enamel won't hold up well on a tool

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

I thought all auto parts store in the US did sell brand name automotive paint like PPG and Martin Senour. Maybe that is a Upper Midwest thing. Steve

Reply to
Up North

William Noble wrote in article ...

NAPA is hardly a "consumer automotive store."

Counterman Magazine rates NAPA's customer base as 70% professional and 30% retail/DIY. Carquest is another that is rated high in the professional cuatomer level.

Pep Boys, OTOH, is 100% retail/DIY while others such as Auto Zone, Advance, etc. rate high in the retail/DIY.

NAPA sells Martin Senour products.

Reply to
*

A dip in caustic soda then spray paint. Large paint booth companies have the ability. Maybe a cabinet shop that has paint stripper and spray booth.

Mart>> I went to NAPA and talked to them. They said that this PPG Ditzler

Martin H. Eastburn

whatever you think NAPA is, it is NOT a professional grade paint store - one chain I have used is Finishmaster, but there are others - if you go to a store that knows about paint, rather than parts, you will get much better advice.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

If you are not familiar with "high performance" paint, pay particular attention to this statement.

Several people have been killed, and many more made very sick when either not using a respirator or using the incorrect respirator when spraying catalyzed (two part) type paints like DuPont Emron. Even if you are wearing the correct respirator, remember that the fumes will affect anyone in the area such as family members or pets, and generally these fumes are low to no odor even in toxic concentrations.

Two parts paints are indeed high performance, but like many things come at a price, only part of which is money.

FWIW -- the air sections of the military seem to have particular problems with this as the catalyzed paints are widely used on aircraft, and there is a desire to "touch-up" the paint jobs for inspection. Not a bad thing in itself, but in many cases corners were cut, such as not using the correct respirator or not containing the fumes, and either the applicator or people in the [generally crowed] immediate work area wound up going to sick bay [or worse]. Any of our air maintenance people have any war stories they would care to share?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee