South Bend spindle sleeve size

I have a South Bend 16" metal lathe with a 2 3/8" - 6 TPI spindle. It is missing the sleeve in the spindle that accepts a morse taper 3. Leblonde couldn't tell me if the O.D. taper of the sleeve was actually a morse taper of 4 or 5. They are selling a sleeve for $85. I was hoping I could just adapt it with a MT of 4 or 5. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Here's a discussion of spindle tapers for a 16":

I just bought one from this guy for $65 for my 14-1/2":
work is excellent.

Steve

Ted wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

I make my own sleeves turned from 12L17, just be careful not to ding them. They are not a standard taper, but the closest thing seems to be a #5 Morse stub taper.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Thanks for the leads.

Ted

Reply to
Ted

I make my own sleeves turned from 12L17, just be careful not to ding them. They are not a standard taper, but the closest thing seems to be a #5 Morse stub taper.

Reply to
Tony

Ted,

I have a sleeve that will probably fit your lathe. I picked it up at an auction with a bunch of other stuff. I'll sell it pretty cheap (say $10 plus shipping). It's not pristine, but it should be quite serviceable. If you're interested, I'll send you the measurements, so we can be sure it will fit. I could also take a photo.

Dave

Ted wrote:

Reply to
Dave