Speakers Finished

For those of you beathlessly waiting...I finally finished the
veneering, and after 35+ years, they're finally finished.
Pics here:

Metal content: I guess I could run some Heavy Metal through them, or
better, some New Age techno-rock.
JR
HOME PAGE:

JR North
JR North fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:
Wondering: 1) Why would you post that in a metalworking .sig? 2) Why does it take anyone 35 years to finish a couple of speaker enclosures?
They look nice, and I'm sure they sound nice. But Wh???
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Nice work...
I'm still running the EV Sentry IV with 511B's on top
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT
My dear Crom! Bondo, stain, and poly? my heart...my heart...
-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I guess you missed the page with the 75 oz magnet woofers.... LOL
For the same reason no one bothers to finish fixing up their house until they're ready to sell it... Plus, they proly sounded great without the veneer.... LOL
Reply to
Existential Angst
Good show!
Don't see too many 15" woofers these days, except in these criminally negligent fukn boomcars..... These days, in home systems, a woofer is.... 8"??? WTF??? Started by Bose, I think.... LOL
But here's sumpn I always wondered: In a speaker, doesn't the midrange carry most of the "acoustical content"? Ergo the wattage??
I always thought the speaker enclosure should have multiple midrange drivers, a la, in fact, the ole Bose 901's.
Are your woofers as good as, say, JBL's?? A 75 oz magnet sounds perty ossum!
I went on an audio ng, apropos of my disgust with the sound of almost every home stereo I've heard, wrt old AR3a or KLH or Rectilinear systems, and axed, What would you have to pay today to get the equivalent sound of AR3a speakers..... which in the '70's mighta run $250 for the pair.
Answer: $2,000, minimum.
Goodgawd, and AR3a's back then, were really "basic" bookshelf-type speakers.
Cars are now 50% heavier than they were in the 70's, and are just now eke'ing up to the mpg's of my ole Datsun 510..... WTF???
We are de-evolving, dats what.
Reply to
Existential Angst
snip---
Correct. That's why the 375 drivers in my SR8 JBL speakers have a 28 pound magnet. (They're a horn, not a coned speaker)
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
Mine are still bare plywood after 30 years.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:jq7g6q$7sf$1 @dont-email.me:
Yeah... I have a couple of "bookshelf" speakers like that. But-- they were never INTENDED to be finished, and never will be.
I don't know... I guess I just like to do a job all the way through in one stint.
Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
"Existential Angst" fired this volley in news:4fc6e711$0$1220$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:
I say, "Bring back the 'Sweet 16'!"
(remember that one?)
Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
$1
I have actual bookshelves like that. After 30 years.
Reply to
rangerssuck
Braggart! ;)
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Note, the metalworking dropbox hosting site has changed, so on your page, links like
need to be changed to form like
Reply to
James Waldby
28 POUNDS???????? Holy shit...... Like the ole Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre jobbies??
You lucky dog....
Reply to
Existential Angst
JBL = Junky But Loud - from a sound pro friend of mine.
Reply to
clare
And expensive.
Reply to
Existential Angst
Ya, the 15"ers move some serious air, but need to be cranked to work *really* well. The midrange do carry a big chunk of the range, but don't need to be very heavy or complicated, and don't need alot of power, as the frequency range is much higher. The crossover network limits the range the speakers have to carry. JR
Reply to
JR North
Got a pair of Realistic Mach II 's downstairs- another jewel in the speaker world. JR
Reply to
JR North
The interlacing of project experiences. JR
Reply to
JR North
Thanks for the info. JR
Reply to