spray paint can question

Yet another example of why I love lurking in this newsgroup. I like to think I'm a pretty good make-do engineer but I'm a rank amateur here. Keep it up!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I never toss "rattle can" nozzles - toss them in a bottle of brake fluid for a few days then blow them out with compressed air. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"Don Foreman" wrote: I made a little brass stem , threaded on one end to screw into the pipe of a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a marketable idea. If they were for sale, I would place an order right now.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I've done this many times. Go outside with a smallish bucket and pierce the side near the top or bottom with a knife tip. Twist a bit, and push. A small hole; about 1/16 x 1/16 inch. It'll hiss, pull knife out, it'll hiss like hell, then tilt so the pressure pushes the paint out into your bucket.

It's not going to burst like a balloon. But you will get paint on yourself.

~Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, gotta be argon. When I tried it, you get something like a thermite reaction where the molten aluminum takes the O2 off the CO2 and there's all this amorphous C spraying around as soot.

Pretty strange to think that (oxidized) soot is what makes beverages fizz.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I wonder if helium will dissolve in water. "Helium-ated" water probably wouldn't have any flavor, but it might make some hilarious pop for the kids talking like Donald Duck.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks. I will remember this.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Reply to
dcaster

Feel free to market it if you like. I'm retired! If you get rich, send me a case of Dixie VooDoo black lager if you think of it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Put on another nozzle from another paint can? Thats what I normally do when this happens

Gunner

Gunner

Horrible Freight used to, and may still sell a refillable spray paint can. Had a Schrader valve you could pressure up with your air hose. I wound up with several of them over the years, and they work quite well if you do have to bust open a spray can. They came with a handful of nozzles, most of which Ive lost by now.

Gunner

Gunner

Grant, I am greatly interested in making my own carbonated water. I am on low carb, no sugar, but we spend quite a bit of $$ on buying carbonated mineral water. Can you give some more details on homemade carbonated water, thanks.

Ignoramus4243

I have used carbonator cap (I now have two systems, one at work and one at home) to carbonate water. see

sells it for 12 USD but you will need co2 tank, ball lock connector and regulator. You can use it to carbonate beer or hard cider too (either in bottles or corny kegs).

Reply to
Seismo Malm

That's very interesting. With this, I also need a CO2 tank and a regulator, right?

Ignoramus4243

Yep.

Locally I pay 0.40 euro per litre for naturally carbonated mineral water (cheapest brand) and local homebrew store sold me 750 gram co2 bottle+regulator for 50 euros (refill at 15 euros [expensive]). One litre of co2 weights about 2 grams so I will get about 100 litres of carbonated water (4 volumes of carbon dioxide per volume of water) with one refill and no empty bottles to dispose of. With larger co2 tank savings are biger, locally it is about same if you fill a 10 kg tank or 750 gram one.

At home I have 10 kg tank, it takes several years for me to use it.

Btw, I live in Finland (where usual price of brand soft drinks [Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sprite ...] is something like 2.20 euros per 1.5 litres [1.7 USD / quart ...])

Reply to
Seismo Malm

I'll do that. Maybe there's a way to use a cone to fit several stem sizes. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Very nice. I would be looking into getting a CO2 tank and regulator. I am sick of buying carbonated water. It costs me approximately 50 US cents per liter, same as your 0.40 euros. Maybe I will look into buying a use soda fountain, if it is possible to use one without syrup.

Ignoramus4243

Richard Kinch did a real good writeup:

used his method for joining the valve to the cap, but I used a Schrader valve on my hose and just pressurize the thing like you're blowing up a car tire.

Fill the bottle 1/3 full of water, put it on its side in the freezer, then rap it smartly against the edge of a table to break the ice into chunks, then fill with cold water (leaving some head space) and then pressurize while shaking. It really works great.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Particularly funny if they were "burp talking" like some folks with laryngectomies (and some kids too) do.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hey, lighten up!

I suggest you open up a can of Humour next.

Reply to
Rex B