Sprocket Assembly Question

Hello,

I need to create a chain driven pulley system with interlocking sprockets of different sizes (connecting a small sprocket to a much larger one and then chain driving the smaller sprocket).

I would think that there would be a blue million places online where I could buy something like this but I'm having problems finding anything.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for some site I can look into . . .other than that I'm going to have to buy some aluminum sheets and make my own sprockets.

Anything you can tell me is appreciated.

-bkennedy

(example:)

small sprocket large sprocket | | | | |--| | | | |

Reply to
b_t_k

Search on "sprocket". You'll have to do the assembly part.

Also WM Berg company, although I've never ordered from them.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

b_t snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1168900529.967996.287010 @q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Try looking at Shimano's web site - or any other bicycle component manufacturer's - or simply check with a bicycle repair shop.

If nothing else, drop by a Wal-Mart and take a look at their multi-speed bicycles.

Bicycle manufacturers have been using 2-sprocket, 3-sprocket, 4-sprocket, and 5-sprocket sets on multi-speed bicycles for many years.

Reply to
RAM³

I require a ratio of 10+ which I cannot find using standard bicycle parts. . . some of the 'horizontal' roadster type bicycles come closer. . . but still too small / expensive.

RAM=B3 wrote:

Reply to
b_t_k

Princess Auto has what you want but they don't seem to show sprockets on their web site. Prices are reasonable but they are the "quality import" stuff.

If I can't find what I want there I usually go to a bearing and belting place.

But I expect to pay at least twice as much.

DOC

b_t snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
doc

Princess Auto has what you want but they don't seem to show sprockets on their web site. Prices are reasonable but they are the "quality import" stuff.

If I can't find what I want there I usually go to a bearing and belting place.

But I expect to pay at least twice as much.

DOC

b_t snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
doc

Also what's it called when you 'couple' one sprocket directly to another? Is this what the 'hub' sprockets are for? Direct coupling?

Is there some site that can give me a basic intro on sprockets and sprocket assembly?

Reply to
b_t_k

What you need to look for is a double sprocket hub... The ones I use have three cap screws holding the sprockets on each side of the hub...

--------- | | -- -- | | |------------| |------------| | | -- -- | | ---------- Hub looking at it from its side... Flange holds the sprockets on with cap screws ...

Reply to
kbeitz

You could probably get what you want by bastardising a bicycle small rear sprocket to a bicycle large front ring. Yup, you'd have to make the adaptor, I'm pretty sure, but you could do it. You could also do it with bicycle off-the-shelf parts by not doing it all in one step.

Then again, you can just go to McMaster and get an 8 tooth and an 80 tooth, stick them on a shaft, and be done.

Or a 6 and a 112, since you said "10+" for the ratio.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

========================= More than likely you will need to fabricate this type of compound socket.

One brand name of sprocket is weldasprocket. These are just the flat sprocket that you weld to the hub or bushing. see

a few supliers are:
?pcID=4&paID=1031&sonID=124&page=1&productID=17034

You will have to make [or modify] the hub, but this will let you get the exact dimensions, bearings, etc. that you want.

you can also use screw mount with a "pipe" tye hub see

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ............................... On Theory: Delight at having understood a very abstract and obscure system leads most people to believe in the truth of what it demonstrates.

G. C. Lichtenberg (1742-99), German physicist, philosopher. Aphorisms "Notebook J," aph. 77 (written 1765-99; tr. by R. J. Hollingdale, 1990).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Most sources of industrial roller chain will stock size 40 and larger. This is at least double the size of standard bicycle chain. My guess is that you want the smaller sizes, you will pretty much be stuck with bicycle sources.

You need 10:1 reducti> Hello,

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to