Steerable bullet

Eyes getting old? Having trouble hitting the ten ring? Are those running pronghorns just too jumpy for you these days?

DARPA's .50 cal EXACTO bullets may be just what you need. Don't shoot it and then forget it; just shoot it, and then steer it:

Ed Huntress

Larger shells can use similar tech to glide as far as 100 miles. Reactivate the battleships!

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

For a while, but when Nintendo starts making them, prices will come down.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Nice.

Probably cost a bit more than .22LR though..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

ALL my bullets are steerable...until they leave the tube!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Steerable...but are they steered?

This is a very weird thing. How thay got that optical communications and mechanical steering technology into a .50 cal bullet, I can hardly imagine.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I was the Guidance and Control Manager for my companies' proposal for the o riginal EXACTO BAA. We lost but it was a lot of fun. It was huge technology risk to make it all work. I still have the Stero-Lithogrphy bullet concept and a actuator control demonstrator on my desk.

There was a press release a year or so ago from Teledyne where they disclos ed the steering concept. It used and magnetostictve material (Terfinol) t o actuate the rear fins.

Reply to
Dan

Aha! I figured it was either piezoelectric or Terfenol-D. But I worked on a project at Wasino (now Amada Machine Tools) for turning elliptical pistons using a Terfenol actuator, and we had to apply a lot of electronics and programming to overcome the hysteresis. In fact, that's what eventually killed the project.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

e original EXACTO BAA. We lost but it was a lot of fun. It was huge technol ogy risk to make it all work. I still have the Stero-Lithogrphy bullet conc ept and a actuator control demonstrator on my desk.

losed the steering concept. It used and magnetostictve material (Terfinol ) to actuate the rear fins.

I suspect Telidyne used an on off control and aero surface PWM to get some sort of proportional control.

Reply to
Dan

That sounds reasonable, and would self-correct the hysteresis problem.

IIRC, the material has a response rate of around 10 kHz, or maybe it's

20 kHz. The hysteresis is non-linear; it will respond to a reverse signal quickly, but to a diminished degree. And the non linearity itself varies, non-linearly, with the *size* of the signal.

It made for a real programming mess. After the consulting engineers tried for six months to do it with equations, we built a look-up table and it worked pretty well. But then the control was too slow.

It was a sticky problem.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

the original EXACTO BAA. We lost but it was a lot of fun. It was huge tech nology risk to make it all work. I still have the Stero-Lithogrphy bullet c oncept and a actuator control demonstrator on my desk.

isclosed the steering concept. It used and magnetostictve material (Terfi nol) to actuate the rear fins.

me sort of proportional control.

Check your email listed on this system

Reply to
Dan

Well, that's not my real email. For the real one, take the listed one:

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

...and remove the "3".

Reply to
Ed Huntress