SWAG

(Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

I'm getting prices for a 30 x 50 x 16 metal building. Two big roll up doors, 3 regular doors, 4 windows, four skylights, and insulation. Turnkey project, slab and erection included.

What are the guesses?

Closest guess gets a coupon for a free lobotomy.

I'll let you know when the bids come in.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

$25/ sq ft = 37.50K

I worked at a large Fortune 100 firm. I got my free lobotomy when I made supervisor (requirement for job)

Reply to
Karl Townsend

$55,000

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
spaco

My guess is $60k. I am also envious, I would love to have a shed like that!

Ignoramus18683

There sure are a lot of variables in this one.

Thickness of floor. Gauge of steel. Your location. Thickness of insulation.

As described I'll guess at $19,500, but I don't know your location or market.

Things to consider: Sheet iron pocket (think brick ledge) on perimeter. Drop pockets at the overhead doors. Standing seam roof. Radiant heat in the floor Slope to drain area with floor sink. Plenty of saw joints to prevent cracking (never exceed 12') Utilities entry point Chicken wire to protect insulation. Bathroom someday.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Thanks. I have $32k budget, so that will leave me some extra for equipment.

This will be pretty much off the rack metal building, 29 ga., track doors instead of coil rollup, no heat in flooring, bathroom and plumbing by me, additional inner metal stud partition and drywall by me, electrical by Mike my buddy the electrician, dirt work by BIL, standard roof no standing seam, and anything more than bare assembly done by myself or one of my trading buds. Most of any extra items (subpanel, breakers, conduit, connectors, electrical boxes, light fixtures, etc) already in one of the buds garages or on future jobsites........... ;-)

Located in an arid region, not a lot of special gutterwork required. 4" standard insulation which may be drywalled over later as a fire safety precaution.

What's a "drop pocket"?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

$35K

Reply to
Gary Brady

Unless you're south of Atlanta to Dallas, etc. Not allowing for future floor heat is your biggest mistake. At least put the heating tubes in the floor, its available from discount big box building supply stores. If you're North of Washington DC to Denver, put 1" or 2" of Styrofoam insulation under the concrete.

Its really hard to upgrade this, later. A warm floor makes all the difference for an old guy in winter.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

A drop pocket at the overhead doors:

Recess the bottom of the overhead door 1/2 to 3/4" lower than finish floor. The "bump" can be made with an embedded angle iron or round pipe nose for heavy traffic. It creates a much better wind and water stop than hoping that the door bottom gasket will seal. The pocket needs to slope to the outside and the drive surface needs to meet or be below the pocket.

Most commercial mtl bldg guys will know what I'm talking about.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Steve

Judging from many engineering jobs, cost = your budget x 1.5, so, given your $35k budget, ~$50k.

If you want to stay under $35k, budget it for ~$24k.

Not a joke, the client's project always expands to meet their budget, and reality, inflation, rework, etc. then adds a minimum of 50%.

Jim (I've been on both ends of this one)

Reply to
Jim McGill

--Where's home? I'm *still* trying to unload my as-yet unbuilt 30 x

72ft metal building..
Reply to
steamer

Southwest Utah. Near St. George.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:19:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

Hell, that's only a hop, skip, and a jump from Santa Clara, CA where Ed lives. 658 miles according to Mapquest. Snag that puppy!

-- We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same. -Carlos Castaneda, mystic and author (1925-1998) -------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--Not Santa Clara but Santa Rosa; better tack on another hundred miles or so! Nice place to visit tho; bring a flatbed truck and I'll take you on a tour of the shop! ;-)

Reply to
steamer

$100/ft^2 = $150,000 Boston North Area, USA

Reply to
andy

On 29 Mar 2007 15:44:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, steamer quickly quoth:

Oops, I had forgotten already. Strangely enough, there's a Santa Clara right next to his St. George, UT.

P.S: Santa Rosa to St. Geo is 734 miles according to Mapquest.

Reply to
Larry Jaques