swivel vs fixed casters for welder cart?

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Grant Erwin wrote on Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:41:27 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

4 swivels will let you get it into tight areas easier than the other configuration. Whether that's a problem for you, only you can answer. (I went with that in order to get a rolling cabinet to make the turn into the storage space. It is a real pain to get moving.) On the other hand, four swivels are like a hog on ice, You push on the end and it sort of goes where you aimed it. Or not. Sideways, then travel cattywampus. And pivot and spin while it does so. Very annoying at most times.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Large, expensive swivel casters work pretty well. Small, cheap, barely adequate ones are a nuisance.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:19:52 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

Only on perfectly flat surfaces. Add slopes and you're in trouble.

No doubt.

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope. Airports have slopes. No problem once ya get the hang of it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This I learned too. The first set were over loaded. The second set "function". If I were not moving everything out in a month, I'd bite the bullet and get bigger ones. Might have to trim the top off the "cabinet" (A shipping crate set on end.) to get it in the door if I did so.

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

--Go with 2 and 2; makes it easier to back into corners. Also makes it easier to secure.

Reply to
steamer

The cart I made for my Lincoln 125+ has four swivel casters. The two in the back are fixed now because of poor design on my part. The gas bottle support interferes with the casters swivelling. I will be changing the bottle mount in order to regain 4 swivelling casters. Only two swivels make for a poorly manuvering weld cart. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Two and two. Makes it easier to steer. Four swivels seem to have a mind of their own.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Larry Jaques wrote on Sun, 14 Sep 2008 05:11:30

-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Gad, I'd forgotten about that. The apartment building I lived in had carts available to move stuff in and out. Really helpful, save that the sidewalk was a little bit canted, and the parking lot was not level, or flat. I wound up getting myself my own hand truck to move furniture in (and later, out).

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Ramps are not unusual in European airports. Baggage carts don't work well on stairs or escalators.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:30:02 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Akk - bad pun. Bad, bad pun. No soup for the pun.

I just wish I'd thought of it first.

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

We have a pipe threading machine with 4 swivels. Moving it any distance is a like mudwrestling that drunk fat lady.

Somewhere I saw swivel casters with a lock pin so you could convert to fixed. I'd consider that option.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yikes. The four swivel caster beast we have at work is an Oster pipe threader.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Its probably as old as I am, and it keeps working just hunky. Ive got chasers for damned near every rod and pipe thread possible.

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I wonder if new chasers are still available. I was able to purchase a new cutting oil pump a year ago.

Wes

Wes

It seems to me that 4 swivels work for relatively light machines on a flat floor, and tight places. Two and two are better for heavier machines, rough floors or dirt, and longer distances.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins