Pictures from a flood today

Our town was very mildly flooded today, here are some pictures.

Ignoramus22875

We are getting it here too Iggy- My motocross track in back of my place is under water. The 20' jump is the only thing you can see (About 5' of it)- the rest is under water and with the river in the back 40 I'm watching it close it is about to crest . Everything is off the basement floor and the sump wells have been running non-stop. Filled up the generator and fuel cans. The transformer station is flooding right off Bronk Rd. I hate to think what the folks south are going through.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Scary stuff Rob. I just sent you a private email about something.

Ignoramus22875

Expect much more - that was from Lowell in the Gulf of California that was coming at us but the front line caught a lot of it. Now some of our storm is coming to wash all the buildings, and undergrounds!

Martin

Mart> Our town was very mildly flooded today, here are some pictures.

Martin H. Eastburn

Makes me glad that our house is on a little hill. Despite that, the sump pump ran a lot today. By the way, the old house is next to the river and the levees there are just one foo taller than the water, as of now.

i'

Reply to
Ignoramus22875

Better than down south at least.

No harm to your home?

Taking your kids around to enjoy it?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No, my home is at perhaps 30 feet higher elevation. However, before we moved to the current home 6 years ago, we lived in a house 100 feet away from the river that flooded. I drove by the old house. It was not flooded when I drove by, but all that held the river was the levee and the river was approximately one foot below the levee level. If the levee broke, there would be no catastrophe, in my estimation, but the house basement would get flooded.

I wanted them to get some sense of reality that they cannot get from TV... The water was quite warm... We stayed away from any moving water, at least when I was there with kids. Part of the plan was to catch some fish that seems to come out of the river during flooding, but none was found this time.

Reply to
Ignoramus22875

[ ... ]

O.K. I wish them luck.

O.K. I know that some flood waters are assumed to be contaminated with sewage. Do you know for sure about this water?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

We Had a mini flood here last night about 2 blocks away. Some drunken idiot took out a fire hydrant and a concrete block wall. I'm glad you took the kids with you. It was a good learning experience. I wouldn't worry too much about contamination. That much water would dilute anything. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:31:40 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus22875 quickly quoth:

That's good.

During most floods, sewers overflow and it's not good to be in the water, let alone catching potentially tainted fish. You might want to rethink your plan next time, Ig.

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I did not think about it, but now that I do, this was a small flood from small streams flowing into small river, doubtfully any sewage lines were affected.

Reply to
Ignoramus10454

I keep getting pages from my teammates in India, they want to know why they aren't receiving any data from the call center in Houston. They just don't get it. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

--Reminds me of the time it flooded in downtown Santa Barbara; all the numbskulls went for a swim in flooded underpasses and wound up with full-body cases of poison oak. Be careful in that stuff!

Reply to
steamer

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus10454 quickly quoth:

That's good. Be sure to mention it to your boys now that they've played in potentially dirty water. Their reactions could be fun.

-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ditto!!! I got paged non-stop when the piling in Chicago flooded the city and they were cutting the data lines with K12's to cap them. That was when I first got into the I.T. field with Arthur Andersen and man did I think I made a mistake. (I later learned I did ) Ha ha .....

RF

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Don, those brown, oblong thingies that flow down the pipe are not called "sewer tuna" for no reason.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

One never knowns what lurks beneath or atop the water. Might bite or slither...

We have like issues when neighbors burn 'weeds' and sometimes plastic. Both are tough on you and your lungs.

It is against the law to burn poison ivy,oak and sumac but it happens. A little hot oil floats in and finds a spot to cool off. Just hope not in the eyelids...and below the belt!

Martin

Mart> --Reminds me of the time it flooded in downtown Santa Barbara; all

Martin H. Eastburn

Note that I ended that sentence with "this water". In other words, I was wondering whether this was from a source where sewage contamination was likely or not. Based in Iggy's response, it was just a creek backing up, not the sewers.

BTW -- I've never heard of "sewer tuna" before. Is it perhaps a local one, like "Potomac river whitefisn" is here?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

So long by so wide by so thick, with pinkish tints? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:40:25 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

I think Ig and his boys should stay well clear of Illinois waters.

buggers, wot?

Oh, no! Snopes Raided!