Table material for CNC Router!

Interesting. I haven't seen what you are describing. How would you rate the surface flatness? I'd prefer not to have to face the whole board.
I found something called Tricoya, which is water resistant MDF designed for outdoor use. It is fairly cheap, and comes with a 50 year guarantee! Only up to 18mm thick, but I could work with that. It claims amazing properties for both moisture resistance and dimensional stability (http://tricoya.com/ performance/). I think the problem is solved.
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 01:57:56 -0700 (PDT), robobass
Maybe. It has a fascinating story either way. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-news/rise-and-fall-miracle-wood
- I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body. Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money identity disorder. --anon
"Countersink it a little before running the tap in. Maybe a single thread depth." Good Idea. I still don't see the point, though. For non-malleable materials a cutting tap seems best.
I'm going to score some Tricoya. I can get it locally, it's affordable, tho ugh not cheap. I'm guessing it will perform similarly to my current MDF boa rd, but maybe even better, not to mention that I can work wet. MDF has serv ed me well. In four years I still haven't changed it. I can drill a pattern of mounting holes in minutes, and as long as the pilot size is correct it holds wood screws well, although not indefinitely. Since the Tricoya is onl y 18mm thick (my existing board is 21mm) I think I'll just mount an aluminu m rail or two underneath. A full board is about $300, but will be enough fo r three tables. I'll post results in a few months!
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 01:26:19 -0700 (PDT), robobass

At $300 a sheet for Acoya, I hope they provided lube.
--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and

Actually, it's "Tricoya", but you're right about that. At least you can use water-based lube. Building materials are expensive here in Germany, but mostly the quality is pretty good.
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 08:15:37 -0700 (PDT), robobass

I had heard of Acoya, but I guess that's the stick lumber. From their
wood, including enhanced dimensional stability and durability, hold

"Ouch!" nonetheless. I guess with a near 40% tax, it would increase prices on everything there. How's the refugee situation where you are?
--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 6:28:30 AM UTC-4, robobass wrote:

and also some wood and machinable aluminum. I would like to have a table w hich would allow me to cut wet, which I would be doing only occasionally. I could get a slotted aluminum table easily enough, but I kind of enjoy just drilling mounting holes where I need them. The first option would be a sol id piece of aluminum, but then I would need coolant to drill the mounting h oles. I'm wondering if there might be some composite material out there whi ch would be easier to drill, and also be waterproof, and perhaps a bit more durable than the MDF. Any ideas?
1/2" cast polycarbonate (Lexan). You can drill, tap, helicoil, press-in ins erts.
Very expensive, but very tough stuff. We used to hammer in threaded inserts with no ill effects.
On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 23:55:10 -0700 (PDT), robobass

Is that on top of a VAT, or are you counting the VAT as a sales tax?
--
Ed Huntress

You guys and your taxes... I really don't know how my income tax compares t o yours exactly, but for a middle class guy like me I think it is about the same. Maybe a bit more, but we pay much less in property taxes. But, inste ad of making war and funding prisons with the money, the Germans subsidize preschool, so we don't pay for it additionally out of our own pocket.
There is quite a lot of stuff which gets taken care of by the state, so muc h less comes out of your own pocket. Trump's America could never adopt that model though, even if they agreed that it would benefit them. You guys are leading the human race into an early grave.
VAT and Sales tax? I also don't know the difference. I don't think there is one.
You guys and your taxes... I really don't know how my income tax compares to yours exactly, but for a middle class guy like me I think it is about the same. Maybe a bit more, but we pay much less in property taxes. But, instead of making war and funding prisons with the money, the Germans subsidize preschool, so we don't pay for it additionally out of our own pocket.
There is quite a lot of stuff which gets taken care of by the state, so much less comes out of your own pocket. Trump's America could never adopt that model though, even if they agreed that it would benefit them. You guys are leading the human race into an early grave.
VAT and Sales tax? I also don't know the difference. I don't think there is one.
================https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/102983-mehrwertsteuer-vs-umsatzsteuer/
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 05:42:07 -0700 (PDT), robobass
Looking at several sources, I think you're right, they're similar.

Yeah, if we got rid of paying for wars (including Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, NK, and the Wars on Poverty, Terror, and Trump, we'd do a lot better. Also, paring off about 75% of our unnecessary governmental structure, just that change could pay for healthcare and better schooling.

I believe VAT is added at every step of manufacture, while sales tax is only on retail sales. We have no sales tax in Oregon, but it's about 10.25% in California where my family still lives.
--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and

Well VAT is indeed collected at every step, but you claim it back at all but the retail level. What does suck is imports. I have to buy certain things from overseas, and the customs office includes shipping costs in its duty calculations.
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 00:43:34 -0700 (PDT), robobass

Oh? How does that happen?

That does suck. That's totally unfair, but big government never said it was fair.
--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and

What is the gimmick behind free shipping of $5 items to the USA from China?
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 17:45:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

They wait until entire 40' cargo containers are full, then ship. China subsidizes the small vendors, and we all win: Chinese, Americans, and the Capitalist Way.
Many, many American vendors buy cheap Chiwanese chit, bump the price 700%, then make huge profits on it, so I don't feel bad about buying $0.02 to $5 items with free shipping from China. It leads to future purchases of similar products from the States, so these are my test products to see if I like the tech. I could have bought two LED lights from American vendors 10 years ago for about $50. Instead, I bought 35 different cheap LED lights from China for the same price. Some are still working, others are still unused in their boxes, and a few others died quick deaths. I'm still way, way ahead.
I started collecting wood, bone, and stone netsuke carvings from China. It's interesting, beautiful, and _cheap_. Works for me.
-
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
I could have bought two LED

Right. Those LED lights on Ebay weren't even available in shops in the west ten years ago. Now they finally are, but still at a humped up price. Expec t some to fail, but most won't. I've been reading my kindle under the same Chinese "warm white" lamp for probably eight years.
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 14:39:27 -0700 (PDT), robobass

I found and bought all cool white from them from DAY ONE. I love 'em.
-
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 14:27:36 -0700, Larry Jaques

According to Forbes ( Tom Ziegler, Aug 12, 2011 )
"More than half the amount you spend on products made in China actually stays here -- going to American companies, workers, marketers, retailers, and transport providers. The amount is at least 55 cents per each $1 spent, says a report from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. So for that $70 pair of sneakers, $38.50 of it boosts bottom lines here in the U.S."

--
Cheers,

John B.

What's next? An epic story about how the intrepid Gunner sailed to China in one of his scrap boats to get his sneakers? And of course those stupid Chinks take the junk that you've dumpster dived in payment.
But, wait a minute! I've got it! You sailed the old scrap boat to China, traded it for the sneakers and swam back. that's it! Our hero, the almighty Gunner!
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Site Timeline